Thursday, August 30, 2007

Second Day

Yeah! I survived another day in the nursing home! I guess I should say, "My patients survived me being in the nursing home a second day!"

My only scary moment was with a little old lady we'll call Weezy.Weezy has had a recent hip fracture, and had the audacity to want to go to the bathroom as I wheeled her back into her room. I almost pee'd my own pants. I haven't done a transfer in a gazillion years. I had been told I would have a chance to practice, but hadn't been able to work it in yet. I looked around and no one was to be found. Why does everyone disappear when you are desperate? Weezy was starting to pronounce loudly that she really needed to go. I thought about going out into the hall or pushing her call button and asking one of the CNA's to come help her. After all, I needed to go do therapy with someone else, Right? I think I actually heard a chicken clucking right then. All I could envision was her falling and breaking her other hip. Or, telling everyone for days how I had hurt her during the transfer. I finally decided that I was being selfish and really should let her go to the bathroom. Well, that and that her room mate was watching the whole thing. (And of course she would have a room mate that was cognitively 100% there and would make a great witness in a court of law!) So What's a Girl to Do? Pray! What else?! I said a very quick, very urgent prayer. It went something like this - "Please God don't let this woman fall. Don't let me drop her on the floor like a giant bag of potatoes. Please let me look like I know what I am doing should anyone happen to walk by." I know it was selfish, but there it is. Well, I'm hear to tell you that He answered my very lame and selfish prayer. She went to the bathroom will little to no trauma and her room mate told me I looked like I had been doing that for years. Isn't God good!?

No comments: