Saturday, August 11, 2007

Great Day!

I just have to report that Julie and I had the best garage sale day ever. We totally loaded up her car. There wasn't a scrap of space left. Nope. Not even in the passenger floorboard. We shoved, jimmied, and generally crammed everything we could grab into that little SUV all for $25. A total of $25. That's $12.50 each. OK we had bought a few things at the other garage sales, but nothing of any real bulk. So, it essentially all came from one garage sale. So now that I have your interest, you must read this very exciting tale of garage sale bliss.
It was getting late in the day for garage sales, you know 11-11:30. The sun was beating down on the scavengers and junk dealers alike. It was hot! We were getting tired and hungry. The finds had been OK so far, but nothing to get excited about. (Which in garage sale terms is a pretty sad state of affairs.) We had decided to go ahead and try this one garage sale that was a bit out of the way. When we got there we were initially cheered by the sheer amount of goodies present. However, our excitement was quickly dulled by the apparent lack of judgement suffered by many garage sale givers. The 'They think a lot of their junk!' Syndrome. It was some nice stuff, but $50 for a bedspread?!OK it was an antique, but Still! Oops! I digress. Julie and I had both picked out 2-3 items and were just doing our 'last lap' to see if any undiscovered treasures were lurking about before we checked out. Suddenly, there was a commotion from the limp and wilting men and women hosting the sale. One man, obviously the only one with a little bit of energy still in reserve, announced,"With the exception of the large furniture, everything else is $25 for all you can load in your vehicle." Was this a joke? Had the sun melted their brains and cured them of TTLTJ Syndrome? We couldn't believe our ears! What about the little nightstand? "Included!" The black shelf? "Included!" We looked about us. This was an unheard of opportunity. Needless to say, The hunt began! Yeehaw! I know I got 25 items from this garage sale because I counted them. At a whopping $12.50, that is 50 cents each. I got everything from a black shelf that was marked $20 to some Hank the Cowdog books. Oh, That over priced bedspread? Mine!!! Thank God for garage sale dementia!

2 comments:

tpot said...

Tammie,
This is awesome news! I am so jealous!!! I never find great deals anymore. Of course I guess that means I need to actually go to garage sales. Make sure to read my comment to you on my blog.

Gema said...

Man, you didn't waste anytime getting our garage sale victories published. I have spent all evening trying to find places for all my goodies. It was a fun, exciting day, but oh, so hot! I did not envy you your long drive home. Thanks so much for coming. Alisa was very envious!