I started a new part time job at a nursing home. It is just two doors down from the center and they needed someone in the mornings. Since all of my pediatric patients need to be seen after school, I thought this would be a great idea. I haven't worked with geriatrics for many years. I expected to be rusty, but I can't believe my stupidity.
1. I started my first day at my new job 20 minutes late. In my defense, I was not prepared for the increase in traffic due to school starting. However, it is a very flimsy excuse because I had this problem last year. Well, all I can say is - At least I made an impression!
2. I gave water to a man that is on thickened liquids only. Again, I have a defense. I wasn't told this small bit of info until after the deed was done. At least he didn't choke on me! I don't think my career in geriatrics would have survived. I'm pretty sure that Late for work + Killing a man = Fired!
3. I couldn't remember the most basic strengthening exercises. Even the little old ladies were giving me the "This one doesn't know what she's doing" look. I Stink! My last defense : For the last 10 years I have been strengthening little kids bodies. For some reason, I don't think my 97 pound little old lady wants to get down on a scooter board and propel herself across the floor to increase her upper extremity strength. Or the gentleman with Parkinson's wants to jump on a trampoline while tossing a ball to his friend in order to increase his balance. Well, at least I didn't drop, choke, cause a cardiac arrest, or otherwise maim anyone. Knock on wood. Incredibly, they want me to come back. Fools!
4. Finally, I saw one little old lady for 50 minutes. Which is three minutes short of becoming an additional billable unit. This is a BIG no no! Units = money paid from Medicaid. I thought it was in 15 minute increments. Silly me! That would make sense. No! Medicaid has to have these weird times that I have to look on the board to decipher. All I remember is that 50 minutes - Bad! 53 minutes - Good!
Well, everyone needs to pray for my new patients. I am seeing them again tomorrow. I am sure that they are as nervous as I am. God, please bless those you have put into my very incapable hands! Only you can keep them safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment