Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Does getting old mean getting mad?

I just made a three layer italian cream cake that actually looks good! No sloping sides or crumbs in the frosting. It doesn't look like a volcano or like I licked half of the frosting off because of exposed cake poking through. It actually looks decent. Hooray! It is Papa's favorite cake, so I am even more pleased that it doesn't look like a child frosted it; which is how it usually looks.

He is 84 years old today. That is just mind boggling. I know that people live to be in their hundreds, but geez! Surely they are happier about living than Papa is. I think the only thing keeping him going is his fear of the unknown and of what would happen to us. Both people I know right now, in their eighty's are either in very poor health or very poor mental health. How sad is that? I've seen people intervewed on TV that are a hundred or more and they seem happy and alert. Is it in the genes? Is it a state of mind? Do they just embrace life and enjoy it's many facets instead of letting it just pass them by? Papa seems almost angry by life. I think he feels gipped. I think he expected life to be the same with very few changes throughout his lifetime. I know he did not expect to be sick. He worked so hard all his life. He really never took time to enjoy it. Even after retirement, he worked all the time of projects. I don't know, maybe he enjoyed working. But, once he couldn't work all day on his projects, he just seemed to give up. Like - What else is there to do? I guess I'm saying this because I don't want to do that. I don't want to end up sitting on the couch or laying in bed waiting for someone to come visit me. I hope that even if I am so weak that I can't walk that I will use a scooter and sit behind a desk and volunteer somewhere or go visit my family and friends. I don't want the TV to be my only friend and entertainment. I guess I'm kinda worried about that because I tend to be a homebody. And I tend to spend more time than I should watching TV. Especially since moving here. I am having a hard time starting my usual projects. And I have so much to do! It just seems that nothing is just mine anymore. Oh well. that is for another day.
I have to go get ready for the party. We all have to be in attendance when "the girls" arrive. I used to worry that they would fall off their supremely high granddaughter pedastels, but have since learned that Mrs. Ruby is quite adept at fixing any cracks and then pretending they never happened. OH Geez! I promised myself I wouldn't bash the MIL (Mother In Law.) Hopefully, I will get it all out of my system soon. Oh well, I do have to say that the girls are there by no fault of their own. Actually, I am noticing that as they get older they are feeling less comfortable up in the clouds. Gotta run dress, pack for my trip to see Jennifer, my other soul sister, and wake up my napping husband. Who through no fault of mine slept on the couch last night and apparently didn't think it very comfortable. Now who's feeling gipped? He had a terrible night on the couch and I can't even take credit for it. Man!

4 comments:

Gema said...

Tammie, don't you worry about being a sad, couch potato. We just won't allow that--and you are to full of life and varied interests to have a chance of that happening. I will be more than happy to scoot around with you til the Lord calls me home. There are lots of adventures ahead for us--you have too big of a heart for others to dwell idly on yourself!

Anonymous said...

I hit the link to your blog off of Julie's. I am enjoying blogging myself. Negative people can sap your energy. You are a vibrant woman and I cannot see you becoming a couch potato. I'll join Julie in helping scoot you around, especially to garage sales in Fredericksburg.

Alisa

tpot said...

Glad I checked mom's site as I must have had the wrong address for your blog. Now I've got it, and I for one will be very interested in reading what you have to say!

no_iffer said...

I'll scoot around with you too! We'll just all be scootin' oldies! I don't think for a second you could end up a bitter old gal. You don't have it in ya.

So glad you joined the blogging world - now we can all keep up with each other!