Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bunco

I was, recently, asked to sub for Mrs. Tania's bunco group. She has asked me to sub in the past. But, I always seemed to have a prior commitment. So this time, I was excited to be able to say Yes!
Then the exciting day arrived, and I found myself getting a bit anxious.

This is something I fight on a regular basis. Anxiety really rears its ugly head whenever I have to meet someone new. I am not what you would call an outgoing, never-met-a-stranger, kind of girl. I'm more the say hello, find a nice corner and hope-I-don't-squirt-milk-out-of-my-nose kind of girl. Now, since bunco requires 12 players, I was in luck. I already knew me - and Tania. That only left 10 strangers for me to meet. Only ten... Gulp!

Uh... I mean... Yipee?!?

I shouldn't have worried. Mrs. T was very helpful and made sure that I met everyone. She did her best to shield me from the horrors of keeping score in each game and quietly whisked off my plate when she knew that I wasn't going to be able to eat anymore. (The latter saved me from having to explain about the band.) She stayed at the same table with me, as long as she could. However, we were quickly separated after the first hand.

Everyone was very nice and welcoming. They were, also, very curious. They all seemed to want to know how I was related to Tania. HA! HA! HA! For the first few times, Tania and I just looked at each other and kinda laughed. But later, I just decided it was easier to say that I am The-In-Law-That-Never-Went-Away! I got a few "Oh my!" looks, but overall, it's the truth. So, why not go with it?!

I have never been to a bunco game before. Several years ago, Mrs. Amy tried to teach us all how to play during Thanksgiving. And when I say all, I mean all of the guys, too. Needless to say, that didn't go very well. (Guys+bunco= groaning, moaning, and overall masculine whining.) So, I didn't know what to expect. We were gifted with a wonderful meal, candies and popcorn on each table, and sparkling grape juice. (I can't help but think, that if candy, popcorn, and maybe beer were at each of the tables, that long ago Thanksgiving, the guys might have had a change of bunco heart.)

I was proud of myself. Not only did I not eat myself into oblivion (from nerves), but I managed to move up a table more often than I had to move down. (You move up a table when you and your partner win, down when you lose.) Plus, I even took score a time or two without messing up too badly.

I am so glad that I went. I won a prize, which I'm told is a sort of tradition for subs. I managed to make it through the evening without spilling food on myself or someone else. I didn't step on some one's toes; causing a break (which is one of my 'heavy girl' phobias.) Nor, did I say something that I, and my listener, would regret. But, I did meet some pretty fabulous women and had a great time in the process.

And, get this! They invited me back. Can you believe that?! Suckers!

No comments: