After receiving several questions about the more technical stuff on the lap band, I thought I’d try to answer some of your questions.
Now, first off, I have a confession to make.
I am not a doctor.
SURPRISE!
I know that is a shock to you all, but I thought the truth needed to be known. Consequently, I can only explain things as I understand them. I could be, and most likely am, wrong. However, I will try to explain some of the details as best I can.
If you would like the real, honest to goodness 100% correct information, there are a lot of places online that can answer any question you may have. I can recommend the True Results site. There is a ton of information there.
I have to make another confession. I borrowed some pictures to help me explain this process. So, if they disappear, it’s because someone complained. Gripey butts!
Now for the answers to some questions I’ve been asked.
What exactly is the band?
The band is hard-ish on the outside and soft on the inside. The inside is kinda like a soft, expandable tube. This tube is connected to a port.
The band is placed at the top of my stomach. They pick this area on purpose. Why? Well, the band is placed right were the stomach has it’s receptors that tell you when you are full.

The port is placed (on me) between my breast bone and my belly button, just under the skin. (I can feel mine. I don’t know if everyone can.)
Now, why is the placement important?
Well, remember those receptors? Well, the band is placed so that the area containing the receptors is stimulated by each bite of food you take. Get it? Food stimulating receptors = feeling full sooner!
Pretty Cool, Huh?!
Now, for the fill question.
What is a fill?
Well, that soft inner section that is hugging the top of my stomach is expandable. To reach the right level of weight loss, saline is inserted into the port. Which in turn, expands the band.

This causes the opening into my stomach to become smaller. Therefore, I should be full quicker and stay full longer.
So, when I say that I have had two fills, I have had two shots of saline. Right now, I have 5.7 ml of saline in my band. I don’t know where my ‘sweet spot’ will be. But the folks at T.R. are working with me to find it.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
I hope you remember that I am a laymen and really don’t know what I’m talking about.
Frankly, I hope I don’t go to jail for borrowing pictures off the Internet.
Eeks!
1 comment:
You did good Dr. Tammie.
Post a Comment