Tuesday, March 2, 2010

And Time Stops for Just a Second

Yesterday was a hard day. It was Monday, after all. And I am almost convinced that Mondays have a will of their own. Some Mondays are fairly mild tempered. Some are Booger Bears. Yesterday was the King of the Booger Bear Mondays.
First, it was Monday the 1st. That means tons of work to close the invoice for the month and to close payroll. But, apparently, that wasn't enough for this Monday. This Monday had other plans. It knew that I had been sick last week. (Apparently, it and the Fridays are Facebooking each other.) So, I was just a wee bit behind on paperwork. And of course, it all had to be done before I could close.
Just to add a little interest to the day, my loyal PTA had to go to the hospital. They still don't know what is wrong with her. She is Adam's age and way to young for the problem it sounds like she might have. This sent me in a whirl wind to find coverage. AND of course, it looked like no one was able to help. Then in stepped a my wonderful PT! Yea! She was able to see the few people that I needed to be seen desperately.
Just when I thought I was going to make it through the day with just minor bruises and scrapes, word came that a dear friend of mine had passed away. I knew that she was very close to passing. I had suspected it for a while. But, even though I knew that she was ready and maybe even looking forward to it, I was shocked and disappointed. I had hoped that she would pull through this one. I enjoyed her cantankerous ways. She was a tough old thing. She would complain about the most inane things and never think twice about whether she was right or not. She would be a prude about somethings and then make you blush about other things. I think the thing that endeared her to my heart the most was her honesty. She was bluntly honest. Sometimes painfully so. However, you could call her on it and she would say in the deep Minnesota voice, "I know. I just don't care. I don't like it." Then she would laugh a husky laugh. She had some people cowering from her. Frankly, she had me cowed for a little while. Then I decided to take the chance and push her back. I think moment is when we became friends.
I know that you guys watch ER and Greys Anatomy and see how things move on when someone dies. The living, in those situations, are there demanding and needing your help. In many ways, where I work is the same way. However, there is something that I don't think these shows share very well. Or maybe they just don't/can't show it without over or under dramatizing it. I guess what I am trying to say is this. When someone dies, time stops for just a second. You can see the people around you and life is continuing, but for just a second or two time freezes. I think it happens, so, for just a few seconds, you can grieve.
I guess, Monday, that King of the Booger Bears Monday, decided that it had done enough after my friend passed. Things started working and falling into place. Yes, I had to stay late and I still have a bit of paperwork to do today. However, the bite was out of the Monday. I got home, hugged my hubby and was glad to be a child of God.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry you lost your friend. But I'm so glad she had you to spend her last days with. You are a blessing to the folks there, in ways that they may not even understand. You see them, and take the time to know and honor them. God has given you such a precious gift. Though I'm sorry you hurt, I'm so proud of you and your courage to dig deeper with people that some so easily overlook. You're a gem!

tpot said...

T-I, too, am sorry about the loss of your dear friend. It must be hard. Hard to love because you're afraid of losing, but what you would have missed if you hadn't! I hope this week gets better.