
There is a little know phenomenon that occurs when a teacher steps out into the public. I call it the 'I had you for history!' Mystery. I cannot take Jesse anywhere in Georgetown with out this happening.
Go out to a restaurant and the waiter or waitress knows him. Go to the grocery store and the checker or the bagger, or sometimes both, know Jesse. Go to the Farmer's Market or on of the Festivals and I will end up losing him in the crowd. Why? Because some ex-student has waylaid him. Libraries, City Halls, police stations, stores, and auctions are all fraught with the cry of, "Mr. Fisher!!!"
If we are in areas where professionals work, then it is the parents that stop him. Today, we went to the bank to get some stuff done. The manager and Jesse ended up talking for an hour about her son and his friends! It is amazing! The same thing happened last year when we went to the bank and had to see a different manager. I just sit there wondering, "Who would have known that a high school teacher could be such a celebrity?" All the parents seem to want to know the same thing.
"Is my kid OK?"
"Is my kid normal?"
"Does every one's teenager drive them nuts?"
Unfortunately, all of this notoriety doesn't come with a single, solitary perk. We have yet to get a meal, dessert, appetizer or even a drink of tea for free. The bagger at HEB still let us carry our own bags. The checker didn't pull out a stash of coupons to decrease our bill. I have yet to see anyone give a cucumber or even a head or cabbage to Jess at the market. And we haven't received a 'special' auction item yet.
So, I ask you, "What good is Fame???" Just slows down my shopping. That's what I think.
2 comments:
...you could be happy that jesse is impacting the kids enough to where they remember him. Itd be worse if he recognized his old students but they had no idea who he was.
this is hilarious, yet it makes me think of how appreciated Jesse is not just by his family but by everyone else. He has touched many lives and he is truly wonderful. We love you both. I guess be glad they are not THROWING heads of lettuce and cucumbers. But, yeah, where are the days where the grocer would give you something because he thought you were wonderful? Oh well.
Post a Comment