Saturday, February 27, 2010

Seeds Anyone?

It is time. Time to stand up and get ready for Spring. So, I am going to take the bull by the horns and plant some seeds! This year I do not want to wait til April to put that first seed in dirt. So, I rummaged around in my pile-o-pots and found some empty six packs and a whole stack of 2-3 inch pots. I bought some new soil and a whole bunch of seeds. (Note to self - Do not take Jesse with you when you go buy seeds next year. He is like a kid in a candy store. Plus, he forgets you don't like very many vegetables.) I went home and started planting. I planted corn, bean, peas, snap peas, several types of peppers (thanks Jesse,) eggplant, squash, butternut squash, cilantro, watermelon and cantaloupe.
Then, I sat down and planned my garden. Oops! Should have done that first. Found out I needed lots more corn, peas, and blackbeans. Plus, I need to figure out something for the butternut squash. I really don't have room for it in my raised beds. I was planning on doing something for the watermelons and cantaloupe outside of Fortress Veggies. I guess I can do something special for the butternut squash, too. But seriously, what am I thinking?! I don't even know how to cook butternut squash!
Any way, I put them all in the sun room to soak up some sun without being dragged across the lawn by Molly. Which caused a recent discovery. While the sun room has tons of windows and wonderful light, it faces north - yes! NORTH! - it is cold in there all the time. So, now I have a radiator heater in the sun room. Sounds kinda redundant doesn't it?

On Tuesday, I planted the extra corn, beans, and peas. I also planted some flower seeds; including moss rose. Did you know they don't give a single instruction on how to plant moss rose? Nope you are on your own. So, after opening the packet and barely seeing the almost non-existent seeds, I sprinkled a tiny amount on each planter. Unfortunately, I wasn't as even handed as I thought. They have already come up and are painfully demonstrating that I either need glasses or a better seed distribution system. Some have 20+ little seedlings. Some have only 2-3. Guess which number I thought I put in each planter. I wondered why the seeds didn't seem to go very far. Oh well. Guess Farmer Tammie I'm not.

1 comment:

tpot said...

Sounds soooo fun. I wish I could plant, but I guess this year my little garden will weigh about 12 pounds and grow to learn to crawl and walk around! That's the best kind anyway, right? Maybe she can "help" me next year!!!