Sometimes I hate working at a nursing home. Just sometimes. Today one of my residents passed away. It was very unexpected. She was fine and happy yesterday. I never would have guess that this morning, she would leave us.
It's that kind of thing that makes it hard to work with older people. When, you have to go on. You have to work with other folks and pretend that you're not sad. When, you can't help but ask yourself, "Whose next?"
Isn't that Horrible?!
2 comments:
That must be really hard. I applaud you for the work you do as I am sure you bring much joy and delight to your patients. It is sad that your lady died yet I can't help but think how I would rather be happy and feel good the day before than terribly ill or bedridden or unaware of life around me. Still, it must be a constant battle of emotions for you not to get too close to patients for fear of losing them suddenly like that. I guess the addage "Make each day count" has great meaning here. You are just so good at what you do and so uplifting to people's spirits that I know you are where God wants you be and He will get you through the tough times like this.
That's so hard. I'm really sorry to hear this. I'm sure they become like friends, and you just hate to see them go. I really admire what you do and wish that I could muster enough courage to visit one regularly just to be a blessing. I had a friend once who did that every week. Every week! Just for fun. They got really close to one man, and he passed away. She was really upset because even though the nursing home knew they visited all the time they didn't call to tell them. They found out when they came to visit. :( The family sent the children a letter and part of his inheritance because they lived in another state(?) and could never visit.
Post a Comment