Saturday, May 10, 2008

Missing

Missing
Small white dog with coal black skin
Has tiny head about the same width as her neck
and a mohawk down her back.
Answers to Abbey or Hey You
She may be ugly, very needy, and neurotic, but we love her

Yes, Our really ugly dog is gone. I have finely given up hope of finding her. It has been a month now. I don't know if the crazy, chicken loving lady shot her, she met some nasty coyotes, or if someone picked her up. I just know she is gone.
I miss that silly, neurotic dog. However, Cash seems to have gotten over it, so I guess it is time for me to move on too.
Jesse wanted to go out and get me golden retriever puppy. I told him no. The two dogs we still have are plenty. Even though Cash is really his and Phoebe is Adam's, I just wasn't up to it.
Now, I am really glad I didn't. In Abbey's (and Adam's) absence, Phoebe and I have started to bond. I have always loved Phoebe. She is so sweet and soft, it is hard not to like her. However, with Abbey's insistent personality, I guess Phoebe was not allowed to shine. She has a quiet nature. She is OK not being the center of attention. And, she just likes to watch what is going on. Consequently, she was always part of the background; overshadowed by the other dogs personalities. Now I am really enjoying her company. (However - she takes up a lot more space on the bed.) She is just happy to be part of the group. She likes to curl up next to you - quietly. It's ok with her if you are reading a book or watching your favorite show. She doesn't need you to pet her or show your undying love for her. It is really easy to be around her. So far, her only draw back is that she wakes up early and wants to go out - like at 6am. (Abbey would stay inside until she popped - oh, about 10 am.) However, I can deal with that. After all, she deals with me pulling the covers out from under her in the middle of the night. Man! She weighs a ton!
She will never take Abbey's place in my heart. But, she is slowly and quietly carving out her own spot. Isn't great the way God gives us just what we need - when we need it? Who knew my next doggie best friend would be one we have loved for 10 years?
So, everybody give your dogs a big hug. They deserve it for all the love they give us. Plus, I can't help but feel that when we love on an animal we are loving God in a small way. Like they are a small part of Him. Oh! I don't know how to put it without sounding like a freak!
I give up....for now.

2 comments:

Gema said...

oh, tammie, i didn't know abbie was MIA. I am so sorry. I know how that must hurt. But I am glad you have Phoebe to love on. And sweet little Cash---and i agree with you that lovin on our dogs is like loving on God

Amber Lichtenstein said...

Good thing i didnt get that golden retriever that jesse and i had talked about.. jk.