It occurred to me today that I am a dinosaur in my profession. Well, I guess I should say in one particular area of my profession. This simple, yet disturbing, thought was quickly followed by a quick prayer of thanks for God's leadership in my life.
When I felt God nudging me out of the school house, I was very nervous. When he pointed me in the direction of some friend's start up business that would revolve around OT, Speech and other family services, I was terrified. After all, I had been working in the school's for 11 years. I knew how it worked. I knew how to fight for what was due a student and when to back off(most of the time, anyway.) I was respected, well, I am pretty sure I was. I had some seniority. I had benefits and a steady paycheck. I had even been asked to take a part in picking out my new supervisor. Now, how often does that happen? But God kept saying, "No. Get out. You aren't going to be happy. I have something else planned for you. You aren't going to spend the rest of your life here." So, after much hemming and hawing, I gave my resignation. (Needless to say the rest of the year sucked! Having your boss ticked at you is not fun. Having her ticked at you for a month just stinks!)
Then the rumors started trickling in. How almost no one was getting OT services outside of the classroom. How several children that had made lots of progress, but still needed intervention (in my opinion anyway) where dismissed and told there was nothing wrong with them. I was appalled and glad I wasn't there. I, also, took a lot of the talk with a grain of salt. After all, several of us from one campus had left at the same time. There was bound to be some growing pains, so to speak. I even got a little nostalgic several times.The Center continues to struggle and I was working during the summer instead of vacationing. Maybe, I had made a mistake. My prayers kept being answered by a simple, "Stay." So I stayed. Our checking account got smaller and smaller. What did I hear? "Stay." People are talking about the wonderful vacations they are taking. I want to go on a vacation, but I can't. I have 10 kids coming for a week of Pirate camp. "Stay." OK Matey, I'm staying, but I could really use some booty. I was really busy with camps this year, which boosted our bank account some. Making it possible for me to "Stay" a little longer. Thank you Lord. What now? "Stay." The nursing home next door just happens to need a COTA for the morning hours, which is when no one wants to come in for therapy at the center. WooHoo! Booty Found! Well, at least as much booty as we need. Then a new law passes that pretty much guarantees that most kids with special needs will not get services, in or out of the classroom. The teachers are supposed to recognize and determine what these kids need in the classroom. Egads! So, in the last two weeks, calls have been pouring in from parents whose children are no longer receiving services in the school. Suddenly, we are trying to figure out how we are going to fit in everyone. Cha Ching! God is so good - in His own sweet time!
However, this is not why I found myself praying during an OT session with a new kiddo this week. This child had multiple difficulties. None are so great or blaring that most people would notice if they saw him in the grocery store. If you knew him from church, he would be that sweet, odd boy that plays with the younger kids so nicely. However, all of his problems combined, make it very difficult for him to learn, play, or socialize with his peers. His mother happened to bring in the schools OT report, which I read during the treatment. While this OT agreed with all I was seeing, she denied him services. This kiddo would have been a shoe in while I and the previous OTR were there. It made me so sad and angry for him. That was when I realized that I would have been a dinosaur in the schools. Then I realized that God saved me from being a school OT. He was right. I would be miserable there. I could not see these kids everyday, knowing that they need services and not help them. It would break my heart to see teachers, already overloaded, trying to deal with children that don't fit into the regular education mold. Thank You Lord, for being a lamp unto my feet, even when I think I can see clearly where I want to go. Thank You for the "Stays" You give me, even when it is uncomfortable to do so. Thank You for knowing what I need and letting me know that You will always take care of me.
3 comments:
Your blogs are a joy and an encouragement. Definitely worth getting butt numbness!
Wow! I thank you for your long blog which was immensely interesting to me. I love to see God at work--especially in someone who is trying so hard to listen. I am so glad you did what you did and have some confirmation and peace in your spirit about it all. I can only imagine how scary a change it must have all been for you.
I got your message today on phone and hope it is not too late but Amy's address is 6002 Sandhurst Lane #2003, Dallas 75206. They do live in an apartment.
Thank you for my sweet birthday card--I loved it--especially the little trampoline you had for me. When i start to feelin' old and tired I will picture myself rebounding on the trampoline....
We are at the ranch. Call me when you get a moment. I miss you too.
Just wanted you to know I am up and running again. Able to read some of your past posts at least!
Post a Comment