Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Cure for the Getting Old Blues
I think I have found a sure fire way to get rid of the "I'm getting old" blues. Work or volunteer at a nursing home, Meals on Wheels, or some other organization that helps the elderly in your community. After working in a pretty nice nursing home the last few weeks, I have found myself complaining less about the gray hair, forgetfulness, and lack of energy. Yes, my hair is still gray in places, but at least I have hair. My joints may stiffen at the end of a long day, but at least I know when I get up in the morning I will be able to get out of bed unassisted; usually as if the day before never happened. OK. If I haven't brought a grocery list, I can totally forget why I even went to HEB. However, I know what day it is and remember where I was this morning - well, most of the time anyway.... I guess what I am trying to say is that you should enjoy what you have while you have it. Whether it be your youth, income, loved ones, your dog, friends, Ipod, that big screen TV, whatever... Because our life here is so fleeting. It moves so much faster than we want to admit. I talk to all these nice people and they miss all of the things that we take for granted, just like they did. None of us know when our Ipod will crash, the stash of cookies you hide from the kids will go stale, or your body will become your greatest worry. I love that Julie takes the time to enjoy and take a picture of the flowers that she sees. Literally taking the time to smell the roses or pansies, if you prefer. I think that a huge part of praising and thanking God for all that we have is enjoying all that He has given us. The happiest people I have met these past weeks are those that led a full life doing things they enjoyed. And they don't stop once they get in the home. One little lady has a different boyfriend every few days. She is so sweet to them. Sitting and talking to them, as if they have been dating for years, about the movie they went to or what they will have for lunch. Yes, she has some dementia, but I have seen her lean out of her chair to help someone button up their sweater that was having difficulty doing it themselves. The looks on both of their faces were priceless, just filled with joy and love, when the job was finally done. Another, is trying to start up several different clubs for the residents that wish to join. She refuses to waste her time doing nothing. So, she is going to give the others the option to stay active too. It is such a contrast to what I see at home. I know it is weird, but I thank God for this job. Not only for the extra income, but for the lessons it has taught me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This brought tears to my eyes. Keep sharing your experiences and insights.
thank you for writing this--something we all need to hear. I have felt the same thing while working on disasters and seeing people lose loved ones and lose all they own. Each day we have is a blessing and we need to not take for granted any little thing we have. Sometimes I feel guilty that don and i are so blessed to have the freedom to spend so much time together at the ranch, on red cross work, traveling, etc. But I have seen so many people put off doing the things they love until later----and when later comes they are not able to do so for many reasons. I want to live each day to the fullest, appreciate everything God puts in front of me, and spend as much time as I can with those I love. Thank you for this tearful reminder of how we need to stop and appreciate each day of our lives.
Yes, this was a very good blog to remember...Remember where we are all headed and that the time right now is very short. Our pastor says if you want to be happy when you're old and not bitter start with the end picture in mind and work your way backward. I hope I'm like that lady when I'm older.
Post a Comment