Monday, August 2, 2010

Adam

This is a worried Mom post. I know I have posted emotional purging in the past. However, what I have to share - this time - is not emotional purging. Instead, I have a normal, healthy concern that I need to share with my family and friends. So, don't worry. I promise I won't be crying at the start, middle or end of this post. Promise!


Adam called us this weekend. He doesn't get to call often. So, we stop everything when he does. He is usually full of good, but tired, humor, funny stories, and frustrations. Even though we can hear fatigue and home sickness growing with each call, we have always heard a note of confidence and goodwill in his voice. Since we don't expect Afghanistan to be a resort, we haven't been overly concerned. It's all normal, right?

This call was different. We could hear it in his voice. He sounded down. Not defeated, but, definitely, beat up. I tried to pass it off as just being early in the morning there. But, he told us a few things that concerned us.

He shared that he isn't doing his job much and that had him down. He doesn't have much confidence in the platoon he is attached to over there. He said they aren't using him as much as he would like to be used. I won't share everything, because I don't want to get him in trouble, but his safety could be at risk.


It scares me, but he says he is OK. I'm secretly glad that they aren't using him much. If things aren't running tightly over there, I'd prefer that he stay on base, in his tent, watching movies.


He, also, let us know that the mess hall seemed to be running out of food. He wasn't sure about it. However, he said that they were giving them the same food, just cooked differently for each meal. They seem to be using the same ingredients each day. They had run out of cereal and stuff for breakfast. The only thing they seemed to have a lot of is Blue Bell Ice Cream.

In this day and age, shouldn't we, the United States, be able to provide our troops with a variety of food? He isn't out in some lonely base. He is on a big base out there. It is a well established base. I just don't understand how WE can let our troops go without a basic needs and enjoyments.

I needed to share this with you. Why? Because, I know you care. And I know that you will put this in your prayers. And I feel like Adam is safer with your prayers. I can sleep better knowing your prayers and love are surrounding him.....

And here I go breaking my promise!

I've got to go find some Kleenex!



Thank you for your love and support. Thank you for your prayers and understanding. Thank You, Lord for family and friends and keeping Adam safe.

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Oh Tammie. I will be praying. Cry all you want, I will join you.

Rebekah Collette said...

Thanks you for sharing this Tammie. I feel there are no words to express how much reading this meant. My continuous prayers for Adam and all our troops. Reading this brings to light the reality of it all and we need a little reality check every now and then. To be unaware of what they go through over there and what they are not getting feel ungrateful and I don't ever want to be ungrateful for all our troops do. thank you Tammie and I will pray and hope for Adams bubbly spirit to be lifted, that boy can make a room full of Debbie downers perk up and smile, the whole lot of them! missed him dearly at the Family Reunion and cant wait for him to come home in August! I love you all!