They say you can't ever go back home. It is a depressing saying. And in someways, it is totally wrong. You can ALWAYS go back to where you lived. But, you might not recognize it when you get there.
As I visited Amber today, I got a close look at good ol' Marble Falls. And frankly, it depressed me. My house is but a memory. Traffic never seemed to let up. (Where the heck did all the people come from?!) There are new businesses, roads, and homes popping up like bad acne on some poor teen's face. Other landmarks are gone. Just gone. I don't know how many times I have walked by (as a pimply teen), driven past, and used for directions the row of Assisted Housing homes on Ave N. We drove down that road and I, literally, didn't know where I was! It was an eerie feeling.
Then I made the mistake of going into Walmart and HEB. I could handle the changes in Wally-World - after all, if you've seen one Wally-World, you've seen them all. But, HEB'ers, well, that was different. I walked into the building, where no door used to be. I walked right through the door -used to be wall- and into chaos. Well, chaos to me. Nothing looked the same. It was crowded, completely reorganized, and just plain different. About the only thing that hadn't changed was the fact that it was impossible to find a parking space.
I couldn't help but wonder why things have to change. I know. I know. It is inevitable. Without change, things die. I know. But SO fast?!? Really?
Honestly, I felt like I did when I was a kid. Do you remember the feeling you would get when you spent the night somewhere? Or, maybe, you took a short trip somewhere without your parents? When you returned, did you feel kinda surreal and left out when you discovered that your parents had done something while you were gone? Maybe they had visited friends, gone somewhere out to eat, or EGADS! moved furniture around! I do. I remember feeling like they were just supposed to do the most mundane things while I was gone. Wake, work, eat, sleep. That, as a kiddo, was what I thought they did most days. So, when they did stuff without me - even though I was having my own fun - I couldn't believe it! How dare things happen or change while I was gone. I needed to experience it too. (Or, so, I thought.) Especially that furniture re-arranging. That was quite a blow.
However, I got over it without much damage to my fragile Psyche. So, I know that I will recover from this blow, also. It would make it soooo much easier if someone would let me in on these changes before they happened.
I'm just saying....
I don't think it is asking too much.
A little common courtesy is all I'm asking for.....
1 comment:
It is strange to see things that used to be so common be so different. It makes me appreciate the times as they were as well as the way things are now. BTW I don't like the arrangement of our HEB Plus at all. I've switched to the regular one, but I know you shop at the P one anyway. I like grocery stores changing about as much as I like cooked spinach.
Post a Comment