This was taken several years ago, but is one of my favorites.
Papa came home yesterday (Friday.) Jesse and I have been hopping to his and her every need and whim since then. I really worry what will happen when we are at work next week.We dealt with the people that brought the hospital bed, wheelchair, walker, new oxygen machine, c-pap machine and bunches of other stuff. We gave him his nebulizer. We put sheets on his bed. Jesse went and got his medications. We got us all dinner. We set up his c-pap machine so he could sleep and still get enough oxygen. (It forces oxygen into his lungs when he inhales so that his blood gases won't get messed up again.) We ran back over about 9:45 because she said the c-pap wasn't working. It turned out he just couldn't hear it, so thought it wasn't working. Then the poor guy stayed up all night, practically, because he was worried it wasn't working. (The one in the hospital sounded like a lawn mower, so the silence was freaking him out.) Then it started again this morning. Breakfast, setting up meds for the week, nebulizer......
I'm not complaining. Not at all. I am just wondering what is going to happen when Mrs. Ruby is there all alone during the day. She did nothing yesterday, but complain and boss people around. I know she is nervous and worried. I know she always falls back on being nasty when she feels that way. But, it doesn't make it right. Jeez! She wouldn't even sign the papers for all the equipment. Plus, she just doesn't make good decisions where Papa is concerned. I had to stop her from forcing the medical equipment guy to raise the hospital bed to the same height as her bed.(Her bed comes up to the top of my thigh.) He really needs to be able to touch the floor when he sits on the side of his bed. It is a huge safety issue! Especially for a man that has already fallen a couple of times. She refused the side rails that go with the bed, but today decided maybe he needed it after all. She is upset that we got the wheelchair and walker, as per doctor's orders. She wants to borrow those things from friends and the church, even though medicaid will pay for new ones. I just don't get it. They have paid their taxes for years and years. You would think they would be happy that they are getting something back. I say use it! It probably won't be there for me, so I'm glad it's there for them. Oops! I kinda got on a soap box there. I have decided that I am going to have to take over his meds. This morning, when I set them up for the week, I discovered that she has been giving him his coumidin (or however you spell it) wrong. He gets a whole pill 4 days and a 1/2 pill the other three. She had it backwards or something. Scary!
Jess and I feel this huge burden over not being able to be here 24/7, we want to be able to help his dad to feel the best he possibly can. However, we get angry that she is so hands off, so nasty, and bossy. One minute she is saying something tacky and the next wanting you to sit next to her and hold her hand. It is just too much. It makes both of us want to avoid their home. I know I am a horrible person for saying it, but there it is. I'm just not built that way. I can deal with nasty people, even though it is tough. I can deal with needy people, though it can be tiring. However, I don't deal well with the combination of the two.
OK. I got that off my chest. Maybe now, I can go on with the day with a better attitude. Maybe, I should just delete this one. After all, it is pretty nasty on my part. Ugh! Is nastiness contagious?

1 comment:
I'm glad you are back, too. Been wondering what was going on and how his Dad was doing. Sounds like you guys have really had your hands full. I think it is very good that you blogged exactly how you feel--that is what blogs are for--being honest. I would feel exactly the same in your circumstances. Her behavior is just plain difficult for anyone and more so when it interferes with the health of someone else. It is going to be hard, but I think you need to put your foot down and just tell her you and Jess are taking total control of Dad's care and meds and that she is just going to have to accept it. (yea, as I am telling you this I picture trying to say something like this to MY mother.....) Ok--all I can say is you are in quite a pickle. You definitely need to blog---and often! I love ya and wish I had some words of wisdom. I think you do an amazing job.
Post a Comment