Sunday, March 29, 2009

Finished, In the Process, and Just Getting Started

Jesse finished the fence! It looks so good! I knew it would be nice to just let Molly run outside to do her business. However, I didn't realize just how good it would feel. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the fence. After all the sweat, blood, and cursing, it needs to be immortalized.

While Jesse has been giving his all to the fence (including sacrificing the tender area right above his buttocks to a sunburn,) I have been elbow and ankle deep into planting, re-planting, and transplanting anything that was within reach and happened to be green. To say that I am in the Spring Mode, is an understatement. I just LOVE this time of year. I love seeing a itty bitty seedling grow right before my eyes. I get so much joy from taking a 'clearance -buy it before it totally croaks- plant' and watching it defy the odds and become one of the best plants in the yard. I really enjoy giving a make over to the 'old timers' in my collection. It is such a blessing to be able to see God's wonders up close and personal.

Is it bad to pray for your plants?

Then today, we moved the garden cage to a sunnier spot. It was so heavy, that we had to bribe two teenagers and their father to come help us. But, it was totally worth it. (I'm so tempted to italicize totally and revert to the eighty's - but I won't. Totally!)

Now, we get to start the veggie garden. Well, Jesse gets to build the beds and I get to plant. I know it is a bit heavy on Jess's side of the fair scale, but that's the way he likes it. Really! Well, that's what he tells me. Besides, after his part is done, he won't even step into the garden. I will be doing all the rest. So, maybe it will work out in the long run.

I will take pictures of the cage as soon as the beds are in. Jess says that they should be ready by next weekend.

I'll explain for all of you that aren't hip and happening what a garden cage is : It is the only one I have ever seen, but it is a literal cage (9'x20') that houses our garden. It not only has 8' sides, but has a wire roof on it. Jess' dad built it to keep out the deer and anything else that might even THINK about looking at the garden. (I personally have never seen a deer try to jump into a fenced area this small and high, but I can't help imagining waking up one day to see a deer sprawled on top of our cage with a dumbfounded look on its face.)

I know you all want one. It only weighs a ton, but nothing, and I mean Nothing, is going to get in there. Because of this cage, we now have the Fort Knox of gardens.

2 comments:

Andi said...

Hey Tammie, thanks for visiting me! No I haven't made pickles before, but I am this summer! I have about 20 pickling cuke seedlings sprouting in my greenhouse waiting to be transplanted (as soon as I can get the darn raised beds finished). I would love to see your new fence pics if you ever get them up, I'm always shopping for new fence ideas!

tpot said...

You are so funny! Love the stories and laughter. I can tell you are in the Spring Mode. Very glad as it is catchy.