Just seconds after posting the previous post, Jess and I had our first argument concerning our budget.
As I was editing the aforementioned post, he asked me if I had some cash so he could get a breakfast taco in the morning. (Since we just did our budget today, I haven't been able to get to the bank. Consequently, I haven't withdrawn the cash we need for this budget cycle. So, I haven't been to the grocery store. Therefore - no milk. Thus, no cereal for Jesse in the morning. May all creation stop on it's axis!! Apparently, it was about to do just that. )
Now, I had some cash leftover in some category and didn't mind giving some to him. I told him that I would just take that amount out of his blow money. (I planned on giving us both our allotted blow money the next day.) "OK. That's fine." he says. He promptly left the room. I clicked on PUBLISH POST. Then he rushes back into the living room yelling,"Wait a minute! No! No! No! That shouldn't come out of my blow money. That should come out of groceries."
What?! Had the man gone nuts? Since when does anyone buy breakfast tacos at HEB? I have never written 'Breakfast Tacos' on my grocery list. (Yes, I know they have them. But must people don't stop there and grab one on the way to work.)
I told him that when I stop and buy a breakfast taco, it comes out of my blow money.
"That's different. There isn't anything to eat for breakfast. It should come out of groceries. That's just not fair! It's not coming out of my blow money!"
I swear. The man turned into a two year old right before my eyes! Yelling,"Not my blow money! No NO NOO! It's groceries! Not blow money! Groceries!"
I told him to give me the $20 bucks back and I would give him the exact amount he needed for a dumbo breakfast taco.
"No your not! None of it is coming out of my blow money! Take it out of groceries!!!"
He ran into the bedroom and slammed the door, taking the $20 with him!
I couldn't believe what had happened. Adam, home for his reserve weekend, was sobbing and rocking on the couch. I could hear him saying, "If Dave Ramsey is going to make you fight, just stop. Just stop. Please make it stop......" (I got to tell you. Seeing a 22 year old man in army fatigues sucking his thumb is a bit disturbing.)
I decided someone needed to be the adult here. So, I put on my big girl panties and remembered that I had extra $5 bucks in the dog food budget. After retrieving it from it's hidey hole, I cautiously opened the door. Jesse was hugging the $20 to his chest glaring at me. "I'm not giving it back."
"OK. OK. You don't have to. Look here's a nice $5 bill. Isn't it pretty? It will buy you 2 breakfast tacos. Yep. 2 whole tacos. Now, you take this pretty, crisp $5 bill and buy your breakfast taco. You keep the $20 dollars as part of your blow money. Now, the $5? It won't come out of your blow money. OK? It's a gift from the Breakfast Taco Fairy."
He looks at me suspiciously. "The $5 won't come out of my blow money?"
I smile gently trying to emit confidence and trustworthiness. "Nope. Just the $20 will come out of your blow money. The $5 is just for the breakfast taco. Do we have a deal?"
"Deal." He snatches the $5 from my hand and sticks it in his money clip. Then, he grabs me and gives me a big bear hug. "Thanks for seeing reason," he says.
Seeing Reason? Is that what I saw?
3 comments:
This is hilarious! Sounds very much like my house except I'm usually the one in the bedroom clutching the $20 bill AND somehow I also seem to be the "bad guy". Don't know how that works. Anyway, hang in there. You did the right thing; I should remember that next time I don't want to give in. I'm glad you are learning a lot from the cds and getting some encouragement. It only gets better! Yeah for emergency funds!
Love the tunes!
Oh, this was good. I could just picture all three of you. Glad the dogs stepped in to save the day. I'm proud of you for getting on the budget wagon and especially for having your emergency fund.
Post a Comment