Sunday, January 25, 2009

Got It!

Today, Jesse and I reached a milestone in our budget travels. We finally managed to get our entire Emergency Fund. Despite a few bumps and the Christmas drain, we made it. Yippee! I cannot say how good I feel about this. I know that talking about finances are a bit taboo, but I'm just so excited! So, don't continue reading if you are squeamish about other peoples money or lack thereof.
We have been working hard to get a formal budget going. I know we are a bit old to just now be working on a budget, but we just never really thought about it in an organized sort of way. Yes, we saved money. And yes, we watched what we spent. But not like we should have or could have. Most of the time we saved for special things and watched the rest flow out of our bank account. It was so depressing.
Consequently, we had been praying for God to show us what He wanted us to do so we could become good stewards of what He has given us. Then, a friend at work told me she was starting to listen to Dave Ramsey's Cd's. Now, I had heard his name mentioned by others, but was a bit leery of joining his band wagon. I didn't really know anything about him. So, my anxiety was more from a lack of my understanding financial things than any problem with his philosophies. Frankly, all that financial mumbo jumbo makes my head spin - Roth IRA, Secured Bonds, Unsecured Bonds, Money Market CD, Money Market Savings.... What the Heck?! It seems to me that you need a PHD in finance just to know know where to get these things, let alone what they mean.
Well, I bit the bullet and asked her if I could borrow the tapes she had already listened to. Wow! Suddenly, it made sense. So much so, that I kinda felt foolish for not doing this earlier. Needless to say, Jess and I began our budgeting journey. We both feel soooo much better, now.
If you aren't doing a budget - DO! At first, it was the scariest thing ever - for me. For Jess, it was such a relief. Go figure. Either way, it has changed how we deal with our money. It now works for us- or soon will.
So, that brings us to a full emergency fund. Oh - and the debt snowball. Watch out Visa! It's winter and there's a snowball coming at ya!

No comments: