Friday, September 5, 2008

The Waiting is Over

I finally called the doctor. The gastroenterologist that is. Turns out, no news is good news. Everything is normal inside there. Yipee!
On the same day, I had my pre-op appointment with my Gyn. Dr. Ikbal is great. She is very understanding of freaked-out husbands. She took the time to answer all of our questions and gave me 40 pain pills to have post surgery. (You know, that kinda freaks me out. 40?! That's a lot of pain pills. Uh... maybe I should reconsider my calm attitude toward this surgery.)
The 10th is the Big Day. That is only 5 days away. I'm not nervous, yet. But I wonder if nervousness is just around the corner. I worry I'll freak out that morning. I can see it now - I've got a death grip on the door jamb, while Jesse pulls my legs and Jennifer tries to pry my fingers loose.
I've been hearing how wonderful it is and how a hysterectomy is going to be the best thing to ever happen to me. I have, also, heard some horror stories. Like bruised bladders and something about packing. When it was described to me, all I could picture was some magician doing that trick with the REALLY long scarf that just keeps going and going. Only the never ending scarf is coming out of me! Apparently, it hurts.
I think I will keep my eyes on the prize. If Jenny can run over 6 miles, I can endure this. Hysterectomy- here I come!

No comments: