I've put off writing about this because it seems so trivial compared to Papa's passing. However, several people have mentioned that they have been trying to find out how the surgery went by checking my blog, so I guess it is OK now. Though as I think about how to write this, I can't relate everything that happened without including a bit of Papa's story too.
The surgery itself went very well - so I'm told. Frankly, I don't remember anything past the meds that were supposed to make me "relax" that they gave me in the pre-op room. (I must be a light weight for drugs because anytime a nurse or anesthesiologist tells me that I lose at least 2 hours of my memory.) I woke up in the recovery room - which looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. People on gurneys every where with tubes and lines coming and going from their bodies. Freaky!! Luckily, I only had to stay there about an hour. Then I was pushed, banged, and bumped up to the 5th floor in the most painful and nauseating ride of my life. They should check the drivers license of that nurse.
After that, I spent a pretty uneventful night. Except for a short bout of nausea- I just tried to be as comfortable as possible and tell myself that it was OK to push that pain button when ever I felt anything. Everyone kept the information about Papa's nearing death to themselves. I know it must have been hard for them, especially Jesse.
Jesse told me the next morning that his dad was very close to dying. I think he only told me then so that he could explain why he needed to leave so early. Jess went home to discover that his dad has passed away 5 minutes before. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been. He says that he didn't want to be there, but it must have torn at his heart.
Jennifer lovingly came to the hospital to sit with me till I was discharged - at 7pm! That was a very long day for both of us. We both were trying to keep in touch with those at home and help Jess deal with all the errands that accompany a death. I think we both felt pretty useless and ineffectual.
I have to add a note about the packing thing I was so worried about. Well, yep. I got packing. Lots of packing. And yes, it did hurt and felt incredibly strange coming out. Plus I never want to be wakened at 6 am in that fashion again. Thank you very much! Thankfully the nurse did not wear a magicians cape and hat as he did what needed to be done. Thank God for even the smallest blessings.
Well, we finally got home and I spent the next several days barely getting out of bed. People (Ahem -Jennifer and Jess) kept pushing pain pills on me. And I tried to remember that I would heal better if I wasn't hurting all the time. I think I did a pretty good job of being a pill taking patient and trying not to overdo it. (Something I still have to remind myself to do.)
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to either the viewing or the memorial service. It just broke my heart. I think most of the family understood. I just knew that between the car ride there and having to sit on the church chairs, that I wouldn't make it. Plus, I didn't want to take away from Papa's memorial or disturb anyone else's mourning by having to have someone take care of me during the service. It was an incredibly hard decision.
I just thank God for Jennifer and Zane. They had come Tuesday night to help me recuperate and take some of the stress from Jess. When suddenly, they found themselves in a whirlwind of death, family, and all the stress that goes with them both. Jennifer was a true Godsend. She helped Jesse get the house ready for out of state family. She gave up her comfy bed and private room for the futon in the sunroom. She went grocery shopping and made sure food was out and ready for everyone when meals were needed. She put up with me and made sure I took my meds and walked like I was supposed to. (Believe me. That was the hardest thing she had to do. I don't think putting up with my sister in law's rudeness was as difficult.) Zane was a super sweetie. He laid by my side for hours watching TV with me. OK. OK. They were his favorite shows. But I think that was an incredibly nice thing for any four year old to do. I know he would have rather played with Adam, swam in the pool, or climb a tree or two. He even let me in on the game he and Jennifer play of making up stories. He would make up a story and then I would make one up. Of course, the best ones started with..... Once upon a time there was a little boy named Prince Zane..... They were each wonderful blessings to Jess and I both.
I am doing OK now. Each day, I have a bit more energy and pain tolerance. Yesterday, I overdid it a bit and paid for it all afternoon. But, I had a energized, pain free morning. before that. So yipee! Today started out good too. Unfortunately, my back is starting to hurt from sitting here typing forever. So I guess that is my cue to make sure a boring story ends soon.
Before I go though, I want to thank everyone for their prayers. God has been with us every step of the way on this particularly rocky path. I don't know why Papa had to pass while I was useless to everyone. I'm just very glad that He made sure the right people were here to help, bring meals, and send their prayers.
1 comment:
I'm glad you are beginning the healing process. I am sure these last few days/weeks have been quite exhausting, mentally and physically. I hope thingss slow down a bit pretty soon.
And, you didn't officially tell me you're doing the race! I had to read it on Kara's blog! Your name is now going to join the list on my blog! I'm so excited! : )
Post a Comment