OK. I have decided not to complain about my life being chaotic ever again. I don't think the chaotic fairy liked it very much, since she hit me with her big 'ol chaos stick this week.
Before Julie and I could go see Adam, I had to work on Monday. Since I was going to be away, I had to see as many people as possible. It ended up being a very long day. I got home and packed until late; hoping I wasn't forgetting anything important.
Tuesday dawned with mundane looking clouds in the sky. I figured the forecasters had gotten it wrong, again. Well, I guess you could say they got the timing wrong. However, their prediction of bad weather was correct. Our flight, as were many others, was delayed by several hours. Luckily,(I think) we were able to get on an earlier flight. After a very bumpy, nauseatingly warm trip, we arrived in Houston. (I was very glad I managed to hold onto my breakfast as it threatened to make a reappearance in the nice little blue bag the airlines provide for just such *ahem* emergencies.) Once there, we were informed that our connecting flight had been delayed. No big deal. Right? Well, at least 4 gate changes and 6-7 time delays later, it was a BIG Deal. At 9:30pm, we were given our final bad news for the day, our flight had been cancelled. At the word 'Cancelled', people that looked and seemed otherwise nice, normal folks turned nasty. Others, like myself, just seemed to deflate. Julie on the other hand? She jumped into action. Let me tell ya, the girl was in her forte! She started making phone calls. Before we even got to the counter to find out about standbys, she had us confirmed on another flight at 4:30 the next day. Then, she found us a hotel - a nice hotel (frankly, the nicest one we were to stay in all week.) The woman is amazing. I would probably have stayed the night in the airport- not daring to close my eyes unless I snored and embarrassed myself. I thank God Julie was there.
The next day started out with very little sleep. However, things were looking up. We were each given a seat on the first flight out to Atlanta. We made it to Fort Benning about 1:30, where we met up with Adam and a friend of his - who happened to be an Adam also. Adam looked great. (I'll get more into that in my next blog, so I can post picts.)
We spent 2 days with decked out Army guys.Since they couldn't leave the base unless they were with a family, we ended up escorting/driving 4 army dudes around town. The guys didn't seem to mind too much that we kept getting lost - even with Helen. I think they were just glad to see civilization. I, personally, felt like I was back in time during WWII. Like we should have been going to a USO dance instead of Barnes and Nobles. I had a great time and the graduation ceremony was moving. I wish Jesse could have been there, but was glad he wasn't. The trip just wasn't set up for someone with a cane or walker.
After dropping off the privates and saying a final farewell to Adam, we headed back to Atlanta for another 4 hour night. Luckily, we didn't have any problems with our flights back and made it to our cars about 10am. Julie went home to get ready for company and I went to work. Six hours of work later, I headed home. I am thankful that the Lord took care of me. My eyes kept trying to close on their own as I drove home. Scary!
I slept all night. I woke at 8:30 has breakfast and crashed out on the sofa. At 2:30 I woke up again needing sustenance. I was tired, now. I know Julie was pooped too. She just hides it better than me.
I had big plans for Sunday. Was planning to work in my yard, do a little cleaning, you know - just kinda nest. It was not to be. Mrs. Ruby, came over and asked me to take her to the hospital. She had had diarrhea all night and some nausea. So, away we went. Luckily, there was nothing obviously wrong with her. After giving her some fluids and some potassium, they sent her home. (I have to say that when she told them she had not even thought of taking anything for the diarrhea, like pepto or mylanta, before she came, I visualized myself walking out of triage, getting into my car, and driving away. I couldn't believe it! Who does that? Well, obviously, Mrs. Ruby does. Did she realize that she was wasting every one's time and money? My goodness, I know people who would give their right leg to have the insurance that she wastes on something like that. It just boggles my mind.) After 8 hours of hospital and pharmacy time, I am now home - just in time to go to bed.
WHAT A WEEK!
2 comments:
Sounds like another adventure for the memory books. Sure hope you and Julie decide to write a book of your adventures for your family.
You are such a good writer. I always enjoy what you have to say.
Post a Comment