You know, I've been wondering. When does life get simple? How do those people that seem to be able to putter in their yard or work on their other hobbies do it? Is it some magical secret that only a few lucky individuals know? Or, is it reserved for those that just can't handle any chaos in their lives. OR, (this is scary to think) do I create/attract the chaos in my life?
It just seems that since I was a teen - BC (Before Children) my life has been one thing needing attention or another. First, there was the realization that my mother was NUTS! Then, having to walk on egg shells just to survive the day. There always seemed to be something lurking, waiting for her to notice and then - Chaos, Drama, Emergency! I would have to take quick action to diffuse the situation, if at all possible. Sometimes, like now, I would just have to weather the storm. I always thought that once I moved out I would be able to lead a normal life. Uh... No. I'm now 40 and the chaos, emergencies, and overall drama of life just keeps on coming.
I have been fooled by the, "If I can just make it till _____, then I will be able to relax and enjoy life," more times than I can count. Unfortunately, there always seems to be something else around the corner to worry about, take care of, or put in the schedule. (I just realized that this is beginning to sound like a pity party. That is not my intent.) I fully realize how fortunate I have been to have a God that carries me through, family that loves me, and friends that stick by me. I, like so many others, have had my share of ups and downs. I'm not knocking them. I have grown from each road bump in my path. I'm really not trying to whine. I just wonder how some people actually get to that place. I'm beginning to think that I'm doing something wrong here.
I know of and have heard of a few people that actually seem to reach that goal. I want to sit down with them and ask, "How did you do it?" Did their name fall off of some list? Did they attain some mythical goal that gives them so many extra hours a day to do all they want to do? Did they grow some sort of force field that surrounds their home; keeping all unpleasantness outside? Have they retired from the real world; refusing to acknowledge anything that might mar their day? How do they seemingly avoid sick children, last minute taxes, and sticker burrs in their yard? Finally, I want to ask them, "Are you bored out of your mind?!"
I think my goal is to have a few days a month. Just two days where I can putter, take photos, sew, scrapbook, or do any other hobby I deem interesting. I'm pretty sure that I would be climbing the walls looking for something to do if all of life's interesting little trials went away. I am not that serene. I am not that calm. Let's face it- I'm not single minded. I need change. Maybe I really am causing/attracting the craziness in my life. Maybe I just have a lot more to learn or give. Maybe God knows what he is doing by keeping me busy. NOW That is a thought!!!
3 comments:
I know exactly what you mean!!! There are even houses that I drive by and I look at them enviously because they just seem like "simple live" houses. Everything in its place, and just a light shining over their dining room table. Weird.
I don't know if this is you, but I can't say no to myself. I have a million hobbies. If I only took picture, or ONLY scrapbooked, or ONLY sewed or ONLY whatevered, then I wouldn't be so overwhelmed all the time by the five million hobbies I'm not doing and the projects I never finished. But I can't change that about myself, I am afraid...
So I guess I do create the chaos...
Going to the ranch with Julie and then drivng around taking pictures of the older homes and windmills (representative of a simpler life), I realized how chaotic my life has become, most of it by my own doing.
Don't laugh, but I made a list of my time by categories. There is definitely some things that can be changed, rearranged, simplified and totally eliminated.
Unlike y'all, I do not have a husband so my time at home is pretty much my own but I do need to spend time with Waylon. God did not bring him back to me just to ignore him.
First priority, spending some time just a swingin.
You are so sweet. I think there are times we create more chaos, but there are times like you said when God just allows it. I hope you get some good down time every month to just be you and do the things you love to do.
Post a Comment