Thursday, March 27, 2008

Private Adam

For all of you who have been asking me what Adam is like now, this blogs for you!
Gosh. Where to start? Let's see. Maybe I will begin with some of the questions.
1. Is Adam bigger than his skinny old self?
Yeah. I think so. He looks bulkier. He says he lost ten pounds and then gained 13 back. It must all be muscle. I admit. It was hard to tell particulars. He was always in his dress uniform or in his combat uniform. Neither lets you see much muscle definition. I guess the best thing to do is let you decide for yourself.
2. Did he change any?
Yep. He seems more grounded and self assured. Suddenly, he is thinking of saving money and paying bills. He didn't buy any true impulse items. He thought about every purchase and whether he needed it or not. He bought me a birthday present even though I tried to give him an out. (I can't say when was the last time he bought me a birthday present without help from Amber or Jesse.) He even paid for Julie and I to get into the movies - no free tickets either - and bought us dinner once. I kept wanting to ask him if he was for real. He just had a different aura about him. I guess it all boils down to that Julie and I were the first people in his family to see Adam the Man instead of Adam the Boy.
3. Do I feel better about him being in the Army now?
Ummm.... Tough one. And, to be honest, I'm still torn. While I still don't like the idea of him possibly being deployed to Iraq, I can't help but admit it was the right thing for him. So, really, my fear is what is holding me back. I can see how it has changed him -for the better- in so many ways. I think I would honestly tell another parent whose child is thinking about joining the Army that they need to trust their child. They need to pray like they have never prayed before, but they will not be disappointed in the growth and self pride they will see in their child's eyes. I was completely amazed and awestruck by Adam. Now, I know I am so completely biased that I am not completely trust worthy in this. However, I am very proud of him and feel like he is making his way to becoming the man God (and well, me too) wants him to become.

Adam has a lot of really good stories and I don't think I should to try to tell them. I just couldn't do them justice. I'm pretty sure, he will be more than willing to regale you with his tales of basic training. Be sure to ask him what happens when you burst in on a man from India while he is in the bathroom. It's a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In some ways, I can tell your heart is ready to bust through your chest with pride. It is hard to think of him going to Irag. I have a niece over there now and I see how hard it is for my sister. My prayers are with you.

tpot said...

OH, that is so sweet. Sniff. Sniff.