Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Mother's Dilemna

I have this Mom's Heart.
It is over flowing with love and tender care - not to mention all the urges to hold tight, pinch cheeks, and blow slurberts.
As my kiddos got older, I have learned to keep the 'love slime' to myself. They, for some ungrateful reason, don't want me to smother them with all the ooey, gooey sticky love I have built up inside over the years.
But having Adam off in Afghanistan kinda caused a problem.
I couldn't keep all the goo from oozing out.
I was thinking that when he came back, I would have just enough time to dump some of the built up excess on his unsuspecting, yet surely, willing head.

But, I wasn't thinking straight. Not only was two weeks not enough time, but I really needed to hold my 'heart goo' in check. I had almost forgot that as a Mom of an adult man, I have to step back and let someone else pour gooey-ness. My role has changed - again! Now, I am more of a backup.

I am trying to figure out how to embrace my new role. How do you embrace being a backup? How do you let go and let someone else do all the little things that you used to do?
I'm not completely sure. But, I know with a lot of prayer, it will be fine.



Plus, how can I be sad when they are so happy?
Maybe this backup thing won't be so bad.
I don't have to tell him to clean up his room anymore,
or ask if he brushed his teeth,
or hear him groan when asked to take the garbage out.
Dang! I really could get used to this!

4 comments:

Amber Lichtenstein said...

Mom.. you're funny.

I like your drawings you did. :P

Garnet said...

Tammy we just save all that gooiness for those sweet wonderful cant do anything wrong grandkids that they give us! The hard part is convincing our kids to live close to us so we dont explode when there isnt those love ones around to spread it on. I just have to say there is another advantage to having girls is that they always want to come home and get a Mom hug on a regular basis!

Alisa said...

I agree with Amber. You are funny and believe me, I fully understand what you mean about all that saved up love slime. I just pour mine out on any unsuspecting kid that gets in my path.

tpot said...

That is so cute! Understand your dilema. I don't think I can do it.