Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'm going to whine.

I might even throw a big ol' fit.

But, I will keep it short.

I am feeling overwhelmed.

I'm overwhelmed with work, mostly. Work is stressful. It is a mountain of 'Need to Do's' and 'Why Haven't You Done It Already's.' I am usually happy, if I can keep the mountain well balanced. I know, that in my profession, the mountain will never go away. There is always something or someone needing attention. The most I can hope for is to take care of each day's business as it comes. But you know what? Right now, I can't do that. Since starting this new job, I am trying to clear all the overdue stuff. Some of it is VERY overdue. Consequently, the stress from work is spilling over into the other aspects of my life. Which means that when I get home, I just don't want to tackle the things I should.

Instead:
I want to veg. (Is that a word? and If so, is that how you spell it?)
I want to be left alone.
I want to have fun.
I want to relax.

But, Guilt knocks on the door of my conscience.

"Knock" "Knock"
'Shouldn't you be taking the sheets off the guest beds and cleaning the guest rooms?'

"Knock" "Knock"
'When was the last time YOU cooked dinner?'

"Knock" "Knock"
"Your dog stinks. She needs a bath."

"Knock" Knock"
'You should be doing something productive.'

I almost started crying today at work.
I just don't know if I will ever get stuff under control.
Every time, I think I have made a step forward, something else jumps up, bites me in the butt and drags me back to where I started.
I know that if I could just get all the old stuff caught up, I would have a chance. However, it is like an iceberg - much bigger than it appears.

I feel like the Titanic.
I'm just waiting for the final blow from the iceberg.

4 comments:

Alisa said...

welcome to my January, when I am so busy trying to get everthing together for 3 CPA's.

I have been right where you are at and experiencing a little right now. This is a busy time of the year. The other day I worked from 6AM -10PM. I have been coming in very early every morning just to catch up.

Of course, I do not have the kind of home responsibility you do so I am able to work long hours and not feel quilty. However, I stay so tired that I do want to VEG when I get home but I have Davey's paperwork to do. One day, I am only going to have to work one job, I just know it.

I like to work early as the office is quiet. No phones ringing, no interruptions. I can get so much done in that hour before my true working hours start. Same for after hours except that I am tired.

Father, I pray you will give Tammie your strength, both mentally and physically to accomplish each day, what is necessary. I pray Father, that you will give her the time and ability to tear down her iceberg. As she rests Father, refresh her mind, refresh her body and refresh her soul. Remove the guilt that envelopes her and replace it with encouragement that this too shall pass. We praise you Father for loving us and for providing daily what we need. We love you. In Jesus name. Amen

tpot said...

I'm sorry things have been so hard for you. I pray the Lord's peace be upon you and the strength to accomplish each task.

Garnet said...

Oh Tammie wish you were here and I would give you a good hug, not one of those sort of hugs that people pat on your back while they sort of hug you, but a real I understand your pain friend, hugs! All I can say is try to take it just one day or even just one morning at a time. I know my days seem to run into each other lately but I know when I am at work I give it all I can but when i walk out the door I have to stop and clear my mind so when I do get home it is my time. I understand how tired you feel, I am pretty good at 30 min meals but lately if it take more then 15 mins I dont think I can stand long enought to do it. I have been reading more to get my mind on something besides what i think i should really be doing. As long as we have the rent paid, groceries of some kind in the house, and the utilities are still working I feel like I am doing great. Tammie i know you have a good heart and want everything to go smoothly and some day they will but for right now for some reason God has put a large load on you. Just remember they say he never gives us more then we can handle and keep going. Oh and by the way driving home with the radio turned up load is a good time to cry.

Unknown said...

Bless you! I wish there were words that could miraculously change your circumstances... words that spoke peace and confidence straight to your soul... words that brought healing like the very breath of God.

I don't know what those words would be, but I can say things like this...

* You CAN do this.
* It's OK to veg.
* It's always OK to whine when you need to vent, so bring it on Fister!
* Jess DOESN'T MIND doin' the cookin'. He loves takin' care of you. Let him. This is indeed just a season.
* There's nothing wrong with hidin' out from time to time. Just don't stay hidden too long. We'll miss you.
* Make sure you have fun when you can. You need it. You have to take care of you. Pretty toes are always a stress buster.
* You are NOT weak for strugglin' with gettin' things at work caught up. Remember, you did not make this mess.
* You are NOT superwoman, no matter how amazing you are at your job.

AND...

* I'm very proud of you and all your hard work. You're an amazing woman (stop rolling your eyes!), so PLEASE be nice to yourself. You've got enough on your plate without surrendering to the crap the enemy throws at you.

I love you Tammie Fisher. We're prayin'... promise.