Monday, September 13, 2010

One Nation, Under God, Undivided?

I don't normally talk about politics. And frankly, I don't want to start now. But I have had something on my mind, and heart for a while now, and I thought I would share it. Hopefully, no one will be offended, crushed, or surprised into falling off their chair. I would really hate to be the cause of a broken coccyx. There are some things that friendships can survive. Opinions are one of them. Broken tail bones are not.





I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about politics. It can be a bunch of "He said....," "No, He said..." "No. He really said..." kind of stuff. Seems like people are always pointing their fingers at each other. After a while, I don't know who to believe. Most times, I don't know if there is ANYONE I can believe. However, this is not what I am concerned about today.



What I have a problem with is the anger and hatred that seems to be growing on both sides of politics. It worries me. It scares me. It embarrasses me. There are intelligent, God fearing, people on both sides of the political scale. (I know that some people don't believe that, but it is true.) So, I don't understand the blanket hatred. I, certainly, can't find a reason to condone it.

I have heard some people say that we have to get angry to be heard. That we are having hate thrown at us, so we have to defend ourselves. But, I don't buy it. I agree that we are having hate tossed at us, by extremists. I don't think the average person, that happens to vote Democrat or Libertarian, is sitting at home hating Republicans. So, why are we, in greater numbers, tossing hate around like it is our due? At what point did so many of us decide that it is OK to hate?

Now, don't get me wrong. The same can be said for the other side of things. They are just as filled with hate, as I am afraid we are. I don't want and would never suggest that we sit back and do nothing in the face of all this ugliness. However, I think that we forget to use discernment. I don't think, contrary to popular opinion, that we can believe everything we see and hear on TV, the radio, or the Internet. I don't think that just because someone says he is a Christian or God fearing, that they are trustworthy. Doesn't the bible warn us against that?

  • I am going to go even further out on this limb and say the following:
  • Both the liberal and the conservative media, have an agenda. They are, first and foremost, out to make money. Even non-profit groups have their own agenda. Don't believe me? Talk to someone that works at an animal shelter. Almost everything they say, think, and do is colored by animal needs. People in the media are no different. It doesn't matter who their network is, they are still out for ratings. Guess what? Making people angry boosts ratings, which boosts income..... Get my drift?

I, also, think that we forget that we are supposed to be examples. Even in the midst of trials, we are supposed to exemplify Christ. Yes, Christ became angry at the temple and threw out the vendors. But, he did not hate them,....... even then. He did not hate. He threw a fit of rage and righteous indignation. And they deserved it. But, he did not hate them. In fact, he continued to teach. He didn't take it too far. Can we say the same?


I fear that we are becoming a nation divided. It has happened before. We would be crazy to think that it couldn't happen again. I hear more and more people drawing lines in the sand. If I don't listen to Fox news everyday, does that make me a bad person? Am I, now, the enemy?

If I do listen to Fox news all day, everyday, am I narrow minded, and thus, some one's enemy?



Each time I hear the hate for a right wing bible thumper or for a leftist liberal tree hugger or for the' terroristic' Muslims, I cringe. My soul shivers. What better place for the enemy to rejoice than in the midst of all this hatred? What better place for him to whisper in our ears, what we think we should hear? Isn't that how the Crusades began? Well, maybe I should just hush, because, those Crusades turned out to be such a shining example of Christianity and Godly love.



I am not saying to stop believing in, or standing up for, God, Christ, or the Holy Spirit. I don't want anyone to stop being a beacon for Him. I just want us to take some time to pray about things we hear. Pray before you respond. Pray to know the real enemy. I, honestly, believe that we are being distracted from the true fight. There is another, sneakier enemy, that we need to make sure we are paying close attention to while we try to discern the truth. And he loves our hatred, our fear, and our distraction from the truth.


"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you one one cheek, turn to him the other also..........Do unto others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:27-28,31

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That, my Fister, was beautifuly said. I'm glad you decided to post it. It needed to be done.

Lisa Warren said...

WOW! Very well said!!! I think I shall read this everyday and hope many others will, as well.

Can I post this on my fb page - giving you the credit?

Alisa said...

Preach it girl!!!

tpot said...

Very well said, T. And I'm glad I encouraged you in my post. I was praying it would and that it came across lovingly, the way I hoped it would. Just sharing what another friend shared with me!