Friday, July 2, 2010

Two Days Down

Well, I have had two days at the new facility.

In some ways, things are just the same. There are people that need help. There are those that want the help and those that don't. There are those that seem lost and those that hide their fear and discouragement behind masks of anger, ambivalence, and humor. It is still my job to look past the mask and try to bring hope and encouragement. I guess it is senseless to point out that sometimes I succeed and sometimes, tragically, I do not.

There are DON's and ADON's (Just more of them.) There is an administrator and all the other staff (though they number at least twice the amount I'm used to.) There is hustle and bustle, meal times, and showers. Yep, things are pretty much the same, just on a bigger scale.

There is one big difference. There isn't a team feeling among the therapy staff. They all seem stressed and frustrated. There are several examples of this, but the most glaring happened several times a day - both days. Almost everyone asked, "Are you going to be the new Program Director?" They didn't just ask once. They didn't even ask just once a day. They even asked in front of the current PD. It was incredible. I have never been in a situation like that. These people don't even know me. They are just desperate for change. Luckily, I guess, the current PD started introducing me as the possible new PD almost as soon as I walked in the door. At least,she is ready to step down and seems relieved that she won't have to worry about it. However, I can't help worrying about how she will feel after some time has passed.

However, I think there is a lot of possibility here. I think my greatest comfort is that I have felt a peace about this from the very beginning. I still do. Though my own doubts and questions do surface every once in a while. I believe that this is where I am supposed to be at this time in my life. Consequently, I am starting Monday as the new program director. Lord! Help Me!!!

1 comment:

tpot said...

You'll do great! You are such a people person. I think people would naturally want to work with you and for you. I know it will take time, but God will bring you all together to the same page.