Tuesday, June 1, 2010

'Bout Time!

I have been trying, successfully, to come up with a bunch of excuses as to why I haven't blogged in a while. I've been busy. True. I've been stressed. True. I'm tired of whining and griping on here. Also, true. I have a hard time concentrating with loud guitars playing behind me. Uhm... True. The computer chair is really uncomfortable. Yep. Totally True. But when I really ask myself the REAL reason, I come up with one truth. I have been lazy. Completely lazy.

However, this weekend just ached for a blog. It was a truly great weekend.

First off, Mrs. Julie spent Friday night with us. Which meant that she and I would be together in the same place on a Saturday morning. Now, anyone with any sense is going to realize what that means. Garage Sales!!!! WooHoo! We ended up with a hodge podge of items from small toys to a filing cabinet to a steel tub.

The heat drove us into our car and onto our next adventure. Lowes. Even though we were only going to 'look' and buy Jesse some work gloves, we left the parking lot with our car load of garage sale items and just a few plants. Now, the fact that two of the plants where 6 foot palms (that I just couldn't pass up) made my little Kia look a bit crowded. OK. OK. I couldn't see much out of my rear view mirror, but our sweaty faces glowed with pride..... Until I realized that I never made it to the glove department to get the one thing I was sent to Lowes for - Jesse's gloves. Oops! Hey! You try carrying two large palms to your car then squeezing them into the back floor boards. Then, we'll see if you don't forget a thing or two. Plus, it was hot. Real hot. I think my brain fried a little out in the garden area.

Give me a minute. I can probably come up with another excuse or two....

However, I would rather continue with the weekend.

With our car loaded with our treasures, we made a quick stop before heading home. It was on our way, after all. Plus, it really doesn't hurt to look. So, next thing we know, we are at the Humane Society looking at dogs. Julie is looking for a dog, but she is being smart about it. She has some criteria in mind. Plus, she is waiting for that 'jolt' you get when you know a dog is yours. So, we ended up looking at 3 different shelters before the day was finished. I thought we were going to come home with a cute min pincher, but Julie stayed strong and didn't get her. I think the Julie will find the right dog for her. Unfortunately, this wasn't the weekend for it. Pooh!

To end the evening, Julie and I had the great privilege of attending the Merchant of Venice performed by our own Rebecca and Elizabeth. What a great show! They both were wonderful at their parts. There were other students in the production, also, but those two girls shined! Watching Elizabeth afterwards was almost my favorite part. The girl was walking on air! She was so proud and had every right to be. Wow! Good Job Ladies!!!!

Sunday, we were invited to join some friends in a drive to the middle of no-where and tour their son's new ranch. It was a very low key, yet enjoyable, afternoon.

Now, I have to mention the 'cherry on top of the cake.'

On our way to dinner Sunday evening, we noticed a huge turtle trying to cross the road. Our road is very busy, so we knew the chances of this guy making it across all four lanes were slim. So, Jesse, my hero, jumped out of the car to save the turtle from it's own suicidal nature. I watched with pride as my husband walked swiftly to the turtle. Without a hint of hesitation, he reached down and picked up the turtle. As he raised the turtle up and began to walk toward the side of the road, my heart was near to bursting for this gallant act of humanitarianism. I must have blinked at this moment, because the next thing I know the turtle has a released a full stream of pee right on Jesse's shoe. (I mean FULL stream, like the kind that occurs when you put your finger on the end of a hose to spray water hard on a big ol' spider web to knock it down. It was a serious stream of pee.) Jesse, keeping his cool, was trying to aim the pee away from himself while negotiating the grassy ditch between the north and southbound lanes. After a long 15 seconds of steady urinating, the turtle was empty. Almost. From what I could see thru the tears I was crying from laughing so hard, the turtle was trying valiantly to continue to baptise his rescuer. Every once in a while, the turtle would manage to squeeze out a few drops more. Jesse finally managed to get to the far side of the road and deposit the turtle to safety. I wish that I could say I had myself in control before he came back to the car, but would you?! Sometimes, being my hero is embarrassing work. Poor Jesse!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

You should write a book of your adventures!