Thursday, May 13, 2010

Food...Food...Food

Jesse surprised me this evening with a delicious meal of pork tenderloin, creamed spinach, and risotto. Since meals of the 'home cooked' kind are becoming more and more rare at our home, I loved it. While we sat at the table enjoying every moist, tender, cheesy mouthful, I couldn't help but remember some of the meals we were lucky enough to enjoy while in New York.

Wait a minute. I have to catch my breath. That was one LOOOOONG sentence!

Since once I get a camera in my hand, I tend to go a little nuts and take pictures of everything, I just happen to have a few food pictures.

Now. A little warning.

Right now, I have to post pictures with little to no editing, beforehand. My poor computer is groaning, rattling, and moaning just as I type this. Once I try up loading anything or editing it sounds like I should shoot it and put it out of its misery. So, downloading and working with a good photo editing program just seems cruel.

That said, I kinda compiled what could have been a day in the life of our stomachs.

Thankfully, it is not an actual day.

Usually, it was much worse. You'll see what I mean later.

Breakfast

The best meal of the day. Or is it the most important meal?
Who cares? This little diner, The Shining Star, was a gold mine that we stumbled upon on our way to Nicks.
I was feeling a little adventurous and thought I would try their Irish breakfast. It had eggs, Irish sausage, Irish bacon, potatoes, and black and white pudding. Now, I almost convinced myself that in New York, eating chocolate and vanilla pudding for breakfast is common place.
Almost.
All I can say is, "THANK GOD I ASKED WHAT IT WAS!!!!"
Turns out Black and White pudding is blood sausage. Gross!!
So, I ended up with a plain old American breakfast.



Lunch

It looks like we are at Miss Mamies Spoonbread Too.
I kid you not. That is the name.
They got the best tea in New York award. Even though it was sweet, it was refreshing.
Sorry, New York. Ya'll just don't know how to make a good glass of iced tea.
The fried chicken and potato salad was finger-licking-good. But I refrained. After all, I didn't want to look like a hick.
I might be one, but I don't want to look like one!

Then we were asked if we wanted some cake.

We couldn't resist.
Coconut cake with pineapple filling.

There is nothing more to say.

Nothing.

But, Christopher Columbus! That was good.

I bought their cookbook, after making sure this recipe was inside.
I might share.
Maybe.
I'm still thinking about it.


I could win an award with this recipe. Seriously!

Does WILCO have a county fair?





I didn't want you to think that there weren't any healthy things to eat.
There were plenty.


It's just that we were too full to eat any of them.



Dinner


A quick trip to China town found us at Big Wong King.
Sounds kinda dirty doesn't it?!
The food here was yummy.






Don't ask me what I ate. I can't pronounce it let alone spell it. Let's just say, it had noodles of some sort, shrimp, chicken, and pork with assorted vegetables.



My favorite part of the meal was the dumplings. They were good, but couldn't beat the dumplings at Joe's Shanghai. Sorry, Big Wong King!
(Makes me want to giggle every time I write that.)

So, from our traveling taste buds to yours,

Bon Appletot?
Ban Appletits?
Barn Apples?
Oh Crud!
Dig In!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

I have enjoyed your travel pics but must say, the food ones have been the best.

tpot said...

So fun! I think I just ate along with you and helped share some of the calories!