Wednesday, April 28, 2010

New York Day 2

Anyone who knows Jesse, wouldn't be surprised that we started our day out at Big Nicks. It is one of my favorite places, too. We were a bit disappointed that they have updated the menu. They used to have a 16 or so page menu crammed with food offerings. Now, they have separated the breakfast and lunch menus. So, that sense of being completely overwhelmed is gone now. Shucks!
The food was great, as usual. It was just what we needed to get us ready for what lay ahead.
First stop? Times Square!

While we were visiting Times Square, the guys decided that we HAD to go inside the M&M store. Really?! I like the candy just fine. Give me a peanut butter M&M anytime. But a whole store dedicated to one candy?! I didn't realize they were that popular. Either I am completely wrong, or the American public is made up suckers. (After being in the store, I vote 'Suckers.')




Inside the store, cram packed with everything M&M, they have a wall of color. For the measly, little price of $13 a pound, you can get any color combination your little 'ol heart desires. Jesse was appalled that Adam actually got some!
After a quick powwow, we decided to head towards the American Museum of Natural History.

We were going to the American Museum of Natural History. But, somebody got the East side and the West side mixed up. Didn't even realize we were on the wrong side of Central Park until we were 3 blocks away. What a ding dong! Can't believe someone
would do something that stupid!

OK! OK! It was me! I don't know what the heck I was thinking or where the heck my brain was, but it wasn't helping me out this afternoon.

However, since we love the MET, it worked out well.

(I am always amazed at how many naked people there are in the museum!)


The statues are some of my favorite things about the museum.
I think my fascination stems from the fact that I can't make a decent clay ashtray.


However, I have to stop myself from touching them. I wanted to reach out and feel the coolness of the stone. But, since I am afraid of the security personnel, I kept my hands to myself.
(Plus what would someone think if they saw me touching some naked person's thigh?)



These are seals or something from prehistoric eras.
At least that is what I think he is looking at so studiously.


This is a ceremonial roof that is made up of the shields of many tribes. Since no tribe is considered better than the others, the shields are placed randomly. I think it is one of the coolest things I have seen in a very long time.


The detail and design of each shield is beautiful.



(This guy looks like one Adam's college buddys. )

I can't help but wonder how in the world, they were able to do that intricate detail in his beard. It is amazing enough, to me, that they were able to get the marble so smooth. But, to do the curls, with spaces between the strands, is just incredible.



This is just a piece of a much larger painting. What I like about this one are the horses faces. I can just feel there excitement, fear, and confusion. How the yells of the soldiers, the smells of the blood and the men's emotions must make their hearts race.



They kicked us out at 5. What a shame. But, the security people were a work of art themselves. Those museum people have it down pat. They were better than sheep dogs. They rounded us all up and out of there before we really knew what was happening.


But, since our feet were killing us, we really didn't mind.

I love the Upper East Side. If I ever move to NYC, this is where I am going to live!

Hahahahaha!!!! Yeah..... Right!



We did some more walking.



My feet hurt just remembering.




Sitting on the Subway. Sounded like Heaven to me.



I think there are 227 steps up and out of the Subway to Times Square.

My feet can tell you about everyone of them.



I've got to go lay down and rest my poor tootsies for another exciting day, tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kia said...

I love how Adam is wearing a Boston hat in NYC...Go Sox!

tpot said...

I am so jealous...Adam, New York, art! What more could you ask for? Give him a hug for us.