I don't think Virginia will ever be the same.
Thanks to Jennifer's generous Aunt Paula and Uncle Frank, we went, again, this year to Virginia. For some reason, Adam was invited this year, also. Must have been a fluke on their part, but I'm glad it happened. It was nice to spend time with him that wasn't constantly interrupted by texting. (He didn't get cell phone service out in the boonies.) Though I think you can see a little of the strain from withdrawal on his face in some of the pictures, over all, he had a great time, too.
How'd you like that incredibly long sentence?
We were kindly picked up at the Lynchburg, VA airport. Well, most of us were picked up at the Lynchburg airport. But that is not my story. That is Jennifer's or maybe Mace's story. And I digress.
Lynchburg has a tiny airport with 4 gates. All gates enter from the same door. After leaving your airplane from the walkway someone just pushed up to your plane, you walk out on the tarmac (fancy airport word there.) Once on the tarmac, you have to wait for the valet to bring you the carry on luggage that wouldn't fit in this tiny airplanes overhead compartments.
Just to give you some perspective here, Jess has one of the smaller carry on bags. It wouldn't fit and had to go in the valet area.
Then, you proceed to the one and only baggage claim for you other bags.
That, with some visiting and eating, was day one. Oh, and we had to retrieve someone later, but again, not my story.
The second day, Thursday, was site seeing day. That is where my camera came out and never returned. So, consequently, that is why you now have the option of seeing tons of pictures from our trip. Before I start showering everyone - all two of you- with tons of photos, I have a warning. I only put people pictures up this time. The scenery and obscure object photos will be coming later. You have been warned.
So.... On With the Show!
These are my two handsome fellars.
Fisherhead looks a bit dazed because we just saw a snake and it rattled his brain.
(Pun fully intended there.)
Get used to it. I did.
Adam wasn't used to it yet, as you can tell by the, "Why are you taking my picture again?!" look.
I have to add something here. I did not touch up any of these photos for color saturation. All this green is real. Some parts of the good ol' USA actually stay green in the summer. It is amazing and some what overwhelming for those of us used to Texas, summer, brown on all of our plants.
Isn't it great?!!!
Again. Even in the shade. It is green.
I wonder if he got that snake wiggling upstream to meet us?
It seems like the little boy in a guy takes a long time to go away.
I'm glad. Hope he does this kind of stuff until his knees won't let him anymore. Say, 20 something years from now.
What?!?!? He's still there!
I can't complain though. It is just what I was doing too.
That snake I mentioned? Yeah, it wriggled up that stream there. Right where Jennifer's toes are. We didn't see it til it was swimming up next to me a good 6 feet upstream from her.
Jesse was kind enough to wait for us slow poky girls. Well, once or twice, at least. Jennifer and I stop often to take pictures of stuff like - rocks, downed trees, dirt paths, sunlight on who knows what, etc.... It can be aggravating for someone going with us. So we really didn't mind being left behind until we heard about the 2 snakes they saw.
Yep. She's looking for a good shot. That is the only reason her camera is not in her face.
This place made me feel old. It was a great convenience/general store. You could get a fountain coke, a whole smoked ham and garden seeds all in one stop. What made me feel old was the fountain drink machine.
This is the only photo of me you will see on this blog. Because I didn't take it or any others of me. I only put it up because - 1. I like it. and 2. I like talking to Zane. He thinks I'm cool.

No. We did not ride a dinosaur. We weren't even offered a ride. But, we did go see Virginia's Natural Bridge. Which was great and is not is this group of photos. For some reason, this guy and his 'steed' were outside of the shop for Natural Bridge.
My handsome man!

One Beautiful Girl!
That snake I mentioned? Yeah, it wriggled up that stream there. Right where Jennifer's toes are. We didn't see it til it was swimming up next to me a good 6 feet upstream from her.
TWO! It took two snakes before they thought, "Maybe we should wait for the girls."
I don't know whether to be flattered that they thought we could take care of ourselves, or insulted that they totally forgot about us in their hiking excitement.
I think.... I choose to be flattered. Makes living with Fisherhead much nicer.
It had pull levers for the drinks. Does anyone remember those? I do. However, Adam didn't and thought they were the coolest things. You would have thought he just discovered a dinosaur bone! He insisted on getting his picture taken with it.
I want to know, who invited this kid, anyway?!
Dang whipper snapper!
Dang whipper snapper!
This is the only photo of me you will see on this blog. Because I didn't take it or any others of me. I only put it up because - 1. I like it. and 2. I like talking to Zane. He thinks I'm cool.I have to admit, I stole it from Jennifer's facebook.
I think I look a lot better here than at the family reunion. Makeup is definitely my friend.
I don't think it would have been such a big deal, but he just met this girl.....
Well, we have all been there a time or two.
No. We did not ride a dinosaur. We weren't even offered a ride. But, we did go see Virginia's Natural Bridge. Which was great and is not is this group of photos. For some reason, this guy and his 'steed' were outside of the shop for Natural Bridge.
Don't you wish I had put a picture here for you?
Well, it is called a blog tease. It is meant to make you come back for more.
Is it working?
It was funny to hear him saying Mom type phrases like, "Stay away from the edge."
"Your getting too close."
" I wouldn't go there. It's not safe."
"Come back here, Jennifer!"
"Don't make me come after you!"
We scarfed them up.
I hope Jesse took notes, so we could make some ourselves.
It was fantastic! Aunt Paula is the queen of cheesecakes.
Really! She has a crown that she wears when she bakes them.
Man. I got to say. The whole time we were out, I kept thinking of and missing Nana and Grandude. I just remember him on the boat and how he taught me to drive it.
He got as much pleasure out of riding around on that old thing as we did.
He got as much pleasure out of riding around on that old thing as we did.
I miss them and the boat.
That is Adam, showing Grace how to dive through a tube.

One Beautiful Girl!
I choose to believe it is the cell phone withdrawal.
Don't you feel sorry for Grace?
No? Me either.
But, I have to ask why - EVERY boy - I have ever seen
ends up doing this face at one point in his life?

No comments:
Post a Comment