Saturday, November 22, 2008

Been Sick

I've been sick and it stinks! Don't get the wrong idea. I don't mind having time to read and to watch silly shows on TV. Heck no! The problem is I don't let myself enjoy it because I spend the entire time thinking of all the things I should be doing. Or, the people I'm letting down. Or all the things I need to do before we head to San Angelo.

So what do I do? I decide that I'm just being wimpy and try to do something - like go to work. Uhm... Not one of my best ideas.

So.... An hour later, I'm heading back home; hoping I'm going to make it without having to stop at every gas station between Dripping Springs and Leander.

I'm also texting Jennifer to let her know I won't be riding in the Turkey Roll this weekend. (I can't say how bummed I am about this. We've been looking forward to it for months!) I know. I know! I shouldn't text and drive. But, I only do it at stop lights. So There! ( We aren't expecting rain are we? I'd hate to get struck by lightening.)

OK. At this point, I am trying very hard to not be dopey and really rest. You know, be smart about being sick. Yeah, well....... I tried.

Luckily, when I get home Cash, our version of ranch security, doesn't realize that:
a - I'm sick and b- I'm a dope. He's just happy that I am back. So, we sneak into the house in order to avoid being seen by Molly, the lovable, yet destructive, anti-ranch security, and Mrs. Ruby (who happens to be gone for the moment.)

We write 2 quick notes about how we are sooo contagious and will not be opening our door for safety's sake. We tape the notes in -sure to be found- areas. And settle down for a nap.

It works!!! No ill timed knocks on the door. No phone calls to make sure we have food. No requests to come change the sheets or something. It's a miracle! (I'm not kidding here. Believe me!)

Cash must have gotten wise to my sickness or dopiness. Cause a few hours later, he wants to go back outside. (Dang dog. Deserting me like that. Doesn't he know who fixes the dog juice that makes his dry food so yummy?)

I decide that I am up to being Molly's pal and go get her from her day yard. She quickly decides that my shoes look interesting and grabs them. As I am stalking to the closet to put them up, she finds Jesse's socks from last night. (They were on the floor, beside the bed, where they always are.) I don't know how she knew where to look for them, but she is proud to show me her find. Unfortunately, she doesn't want to give them up. After a brief meeting of the minds, she relinquishes the socks and grabs her green alien dude. She marches off swinging her tail in the air as if to say, "This is what I wanted all along."

I am quickly rethinking I could handle an adolescent dog, when Jess calls. My cell phone challenged guy had just found the text I sent him at 9 am. (It is now almost 6.) After a quick discussion, he decides it is better to come home than grade papers for another hour. I think this is a splendid idea (as I wrestle Molly from the couch.)

He cooks me dinner and sends me to bed. Yippee!

Yep. Being sick stinks, but having someone come home and take care of you is very nice. My guy is very good at taking care of me. (Even if he can't seem to use his cell phone correctly.)

1 comment:

tpot said...

Oh! I'm so sorry you don't feel well. I hope you feel better very soon so that you can enjoy the rest of the week.