I spent a whole Saturday in shopping Mecca last weekend. This is the place to find gifts for everyone on your list. You need just look and you will find the very thing for that someone special. For those of you that love to shop just for shopping sake, this is the place for you. Especially, if it is the first Monday weekend. What am I talking about? Well, Canton, TX, of course! They have it all and then some. For someone like me, that pretty much lost her pretty pink girl card because I couldn't pass the shopping criteria, it was OVERWHELMING! I kid you not, this place is Six Flags for most women. Acres of booths, both in pavilions and outside, are there for your shopping enjoyment.
You need just push your way into the booth and grab what your little heart desires - that is before the lady with the glazed over eyes beats you to it. Then, you wrestle your way to the cashier, who may or may not accept your major credit card, and hope that your bank account has not burned to cinders during an earlier purchase. (This is part of the adventure - kinda like wondering if your parachute will open in time.) Finally, purchase complete, you attempt to not make eye contact with those (approaching a zombie like state) still in line, dodge the newcomers, try to avoid getting distracted by merchandise still on the shelves, and emerge triumphant with your prize held over you head. Your heart bursts with a feeling of accomplishment and pride knowing that your family will be forever changed for the better by the cleverly carved snowman with "All Flakes Welcome" painted on his tummy. That is until you realize that you cannot see your friends in the din of estrogen and wonder if you will ever make it back home. Do you know where the car is? And what do they do with all the left over women that get separated from their buddies? Maybe they have to dust all this stuff! Egad! I'm starting to feel like I barely missed the fate of Pinocchio and his donkey ears! It was just too good to be true.
If your feet get tired and your tummy is complaining of malnourishment, there is food of every kind to tickle your taste buds. But don't sit long. There are still more treasures to discover. What is that? A jelly made in Dripping Springs? Well, I'll be. I'll take two! I only work in Dripping. I don't shop there. And a chicken rub? Sounds yummy.
Can you tell we spent some time there? Well, you're right. We got there about 8:30 and left at 5. That is the most shopping I have done in a long time. If it hadn't been for the company, I would have just laid down in an aisle and let myself be taken over by the stampede of humanity.
Oh, how many Christmas presents did I get? One. Yep. Just One. But, I did get myself some yummy roasted nuts. Will I go back. Uh.... ask me this time next year. Maybe we can make it a girls shopping trip!
5 comments:
WOW!!! A new do and now you are a shopping guru! You go girl!
Oooh!!! That sounds like fun! And you are so funny! Can't wait to see you at TDay
Your descriptions are awesome. I was laughing uncontrollably picturing the whole scene in my mind. I have always heard of Canton but never been. I am up for a go at it sometime--maybe this should replace our annual Austin marathon????
I'm in! That sounds exhilerating, and you are one of the best dern writers I've heard yet. You and J top the list. You're hilarious!!!
Yes Canton is fun I will totally go with you sometime if you want!
It's like an hour from Dallas not that bad.
Post a Comment