Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fire!

There are fires all over the Hill Country.

 I'm kinda scared to turn on the TV or look at KVUE on Facebookie. I'm, also, kinda scared to go to sleep or leave the house. Every morning, I feel like I should take my dogs, computer, photos and all my clothes to work with me. The other night, I had to stop myself from loading up the car with all the 'can't live without' stuff. When we stepped outside, you could smell the smoke. We couldn't see smoke or flames, but the odor of smoke was so strong. I laid in bed thinking of what I could grab in 30 minutes or less.
Which leads to thoughts of "What can we not live without?"
The way my mind works goes something like this:
First: What do we need to survive? Money, clothes, important papers.
Second: What would break my heart if I lost it? Photos for the most part.
But, you know what? I realized that while I have a lot of things that I feel aren't replaceable, they aren't worth risking life or limb. (Or the life and limb of Fisherhead or the dogs.)

While I am cautious and a bit worried, please don't get me wrong. I fully realize that we have been very blessed. The fires have been 'close' but not neighborly, if you know what I mean. Nor am I sitting around chewing my fake nails and pulling out my newly dyed hair. However, I cringe each time I hear about another fire. Since we are surrounded by woods, tall grasses and brush, I can just imagine how quick things could go wrong. I keep thinking that all I have to do is get 2 frisky dogs, Fisherhead, all our 'must have' stuff, one geriatric chihuahua, one geriatric mother-in-law and all their 'must haves' loaded up before any one of us ends up with our eyebrows singed. Surely, that's doable. I've just got to trust that it is. Hopefully, we won't be put to the test.

Now, it appears that the last two fires in our area have been started by arsonists. What would possess someone to start a fire? What pleasure could you get from watching some one's life disappear into smoke? I'll never know. Just like I don't ever plan to know what possesses someone to murder or rob a bank. But, I'm praying for rain.... comfort for those that have lost their homes.... and that the arsonist(s) will be caught before they have the chance to start another fire.

 

2 comments:

Kia said...

I keep thinking about you guys and Tania and Micah. I hate hearing about new fires starting. I saw on the news that the fire on Moonglow in Leander was started by 4 teenagers who were seen leaving the woods shortly before the fire started. I hate leaving the house too but thankfully we haven't had fires in Kyle and I hope it stays that way. It still makes me nervous though! We can see the smoke from the fire in Bastrop though, and every once in a while I will catch a whiff of the smoke from it. so scary!

Alisa said...

I know people who have lost their homes in these fires. Davey, my plumber buddy whose books I keep, was ready to evacuate yesterday when a fire cropped up in Mustang Ridge.

I have lost a home to fire. Thankfully we were not home. Miraculously, before the firetruck got there, John (my ex( went in and started throwing stuff out of the house. The one thing that survived, my pictures.