Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ode to My Friend

Julie sitting at the Frio, sometime in the early 90's



One of the dearest people I know recently had a birthday.

I won't say which one it was. Mainly, because I'm not too far behind her.

That, and I want to keep our 25+ year friendship.


I couldn't decide between going sappy, and mushy or.... Well, not.
It was a tough decision. However, after much consideration, I decided to go with something more my style.

So here it is:

An Ode to Julie


Julie is one of the greatest people I know
She works in the heat, rain and snow.

In her garden, orchard or barn.
I'll not tell a lie or yarn.

Her animals are happy and fat.
Even the half blind, barn cat.

Her garden grows with unbelievable force.
Her secret she won't tell, of course.

Garage Sale Maven is her name.
Hunting treasures is her game.

I try to sneak a treasure or two. 
But her eagle eyes won't let me through.

'It's mine!' She yells with a gleam in her eye.
 'Drop that thing or my wrath will fly!'

Any other day, she is sweet and mild
Having the smile of an innocent child.

But don't get between her and her precious find
When she garage sales, she loses her mind!

As a Mother, no one compares.
She's always wise, generous and fair.

Through her I learned to be a Mother.
To Amber-Bamber and her Brother.

I learned that if things are going bad.
No bad words need to be said.

Dumb and Stupid will do just fine.
Put then together for cussing sublime!

'That Dumb-Stupid thing!' could be heard in the house
Once in the pantry when she found a mouse.

 Up for a game of Capture the Flag?
Julie is there  - And this is no brag...

She's one tough cookie in the dark.
She ducks and weaves through the park.

She sneaks up on the flag she finds,
Dodging family of all kinds.

They think she is too old to play.
But soon she steals their flag away!

I am blessed to have her as family and friend.
God knew on her I could depend.

Someone who's faith is strong and true.
Someone who had birds in her flue.

Someone who would share her life;
All the adventures, joys and strife.

Someone who didn't seem to care.
When I permed and killed my hair.

Someone who even today,
Will call me up to just say, "Hey!"

Julie and I in early 90's. Boy are we two Hotties, or what?!

Happy, Belated Birthday, My friend!


2 comments:

Alisa said...

Your poem nailed Julie. What a great tribute!!!

Gema said...

Oh my gosh! You made me cry......what a sweet piece of poetry! Ah, the joy I feel when I snag that used treasure right before you notice it! The thrill of the hunt. I treasure all these wacky memories we share and that we understand and love each other so. Thank you for this.