Monday, June 8, 2009

Romantic Weekend?

We went for a romantic getaway last weekend. After much soul searching and saying to each other, "Where do you want to go?" "I don't know. Where do YOU want to go?" We ended up in Fayetteville. Why here? Well, they were hosting a bicycle ride. Since we couldn't think of anything else to do, we signed up. After all, there is nothing quite as romantic as hearing your loved one gasp for air and groan in pain while pedalling 25 miles in 95 degree heat.
Makes every girl's heart go pitter pat. Probably a few guys, too.
Much to our surprise, it was a very pretty, almost lost in time, town.
We were told when we made our reservation that they did not accept credit cards. Cash and check only. I'll let you in on a little secret - no one accepted credit cards. This town is a Dave Ramsey dream come true.
Our room was in the Keiller Restaurant and Lodge. The lodge is above the restaurant. So, if you are staying there, you get to climb the steps in the foyer to get to your room. On check in, we were told that the restaurant is closed on Sundays, but the foyer is open at all times. I asked when check out time was. The manager looked at me and just smiled. "Whenever you decide to leave," he said. How incredibly cool is that?
This was the view from our veranda. We had the whole town square to look at and soak in.
There were 3 restaurants, an old fashioned general store and few antique stores. Oh! I almost forgot. There was also this lovely, old courthouse.

Now, don't be picturing a fru-fru room with mints on your pillow. This is a simple, clean place. We loved it. It was the kind of place you could just take off your shoes and relax in the summer breeze while you read a book. Preferably a sizzling Nora Roberts romance to make you forget how truly hot it was outside.


This was the view from the porch the next morning at 6am.
Last night when we went to bed, there were 5-6 cars on the square.
Crazy!




People in tight black shorts were everywhere.
Yes, I wear some. Don't think about it too much. You don't want to fry your imagination.

After seeing all this activity, we decided we better start getting ready.




It takes longer than you think to get ready.
Water bottles - check
Fig Newtons - check
Map - check
Helmet - check
Money for any emergencies - check
Energy Goo -check
Gloves - check
ID in case you fall off your bike - check
Tight black shorts - check


This is the last picture I took before we left.
Jesse does not believe in tight black shorts.


We started off strong - for about a mile. It was a beautiful area to ride. Fields of corn, cows grazing in the pasture, tree covered creeks, and rolling hills attested to how georgous this area is. Then Jesse's tire went flat.
Luckily, there was a ride marshall that had a canister of air. He aired up Jesse's tire and we were on our way again. We made it to the first rest stop and the second without anymore trouble.

Well, we did slow down a bit the further we went.
But we still felt good enough to keep going the last 11 miles.

The rest of the ride continued to be beautiful but a bit uneventful. Well, except for falling off my bike, eating that nasty energy goo, walking up a hill - again, and a few tears, it was practically boring. OK. OK. There weren't any tears. I thought about crying a time or two, but didn't want to embarrass Jesse.

Yes. I fell off my bike. You see there are these things called clips that attach your shoes to the pedals. It is great when you are riding because you are not only able to push on the pedals when you ride, but you can pull up on the pedals, too. This is really helpful when you are pedalling up a hill or want to increase your speed. Unfortunately, they are not always so good when you stop. Especially if you happen to be uncoordinated. IF you happen to be uncoordinated, dehydrated, hungry, and tired, you are an embarrassing situation waiting to happen.


So, here's my embarrassing situation:
I was waiting for Jess and had the most spectacular view. Did I mention how very pretty the ride was? Well, I had my left foot on the ground and decided to turn to the left to see better. Like a ding dong, I forgot that my right foot was still clipped onto the pedal. Next thing I knew, I was in the bar ditch with my bike beside me. After a quick look around to see if I was spotted, I brushed the hay off my butt and laughed at my ridiculous self. It is always a secret fear of mine that I would fall while riding. I never, ever thought I would fall while standing still.



We made it! Barely.
We were not the last one across the finish line for the 25 miles,
but there were only 2 people behind us.
I really didn't care by the time we reached the car, but Jesse was glad not to be last.
The only thing that kept us from passing out on the sidewalk
was the thought of the promised BBQ, tea and beer.



Who could feel bad after eating this?

This was the best meal I have ever eaten.

It was perfect for someone who thought they were about to die just 15 minutes earlier.



Jesse couldn't wait to dig in.

That is real homemade czech sausage. YUM!





I could barely hold up my glass.
But I wanted proof that I could still sit upright.


There was quite a line for the BBQ and beer. People were scarfing it down.




No. These are not our bikes.
However, some people actually rode their bikes to the meal.
Crazy!


Jesse and I walked. I don't think my tush could have stood one more minute sitting on that seat.


If I had known that it was 5 blocks away, I would have driven the car.



Since we had a long drive home, we decided to get a massage.


It felt sooo good.




Yeah, it felt REAL good.

I've never gotten a massage after a ride before. But this made me a believer.

Oh! That plate of BBQ?





It didn't last long.















2 comments:

no_iffer said...

You're such a good story teller. :) I loved the pictures! And I can't believe you rode a bike for that many miles...crazy!

Gema said...

I loved reading this--you write so wonderfully that I felt I was right there. I almost wanted to wipe the hay off my bottom as I felt your pain. I am so impressed with the both of you that you rode 25 miles. And that barbecue looked soooo good--I could just imagine ya'll wolfing it down. Sounds like a terrific weekend. Great photos, too.