Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Half way through the year...

It is 6 months since I wrote 'In 2009 I will...' So, I figured it was time to see how I have done so far. I haven't even looked at the list yet. And Frankly, I'm a little scared. I'm pretty sure I sucked. However, in the name of personal growth, I will embarrass myself; once again.

1. I will lose weight.
Uh... Not so good. Though I think I finally figured out something and have lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks, it is just a start. Keep praying for this one. I really hate the way I look, but find it very difficult to break old habits-both in my eating and thinking about myself.

2. I will learn to like me more, in order to see a glimpse of how God sees me.
That is a work in progress. Really. I do see myself in a much more positive way than I have since I was a child. I know that God loves me. And I have learned that I am lovable - not in a teddy bear, "Isn't she cute!" kinda way, but as a good person. I think I would like me, if I were to meet me. Sounds stupid, but there it is.

3. I will ride at least 5 rides this year; with at least 25 miles in each of them.
Well, I have one under my belt. Between a bad shoulder injury and it taking longer than I thought to recover, I have been couch and house bound. But I am on my way! If anyone would like to ride with me and Jesse, just let me know!

4. I will clean out and organize my closets before the doors no longer shut.
I have done 2 of the three offending closets. The last one is our clothes closet. EEK! I don't know about anyone else, but I have skinny clothes, fat clothes, now clothes, shoes I like, shoes I have to wear, shoes that I like but never get to wear and stuff that just gets stuffed in the corners. That's just MY side of the closet! I will get this done by the end of the year. I will. I will!

5. I will take more photos of Hayden and my family.
I started out slow, but am just now starting to pick it up again. It is amazing what a new camera will do for your photography bug. And I use that term loosely.

6. I will find my passion in photography again.
I did! Check that one baby! From my food blog to the garden to family and friends, I am loving taking pictures again.

7. I will make my grandson a quilt.
Uhhhh..... Next!

8. I will study the bible more and engrave His word on my heart.
I can honestly say I have studied more this year, but not as much as I would like. Still a work in progress.

9. I will find a Church home. Not just a church.
We have done some looking and may have even found one. We visited the Round Rock Presbyterian Church and really liked it. We both felt welcome there. Plus, it is the first church we have been to that someone recognized us as visitors. That someone was the pastor. I thought that was pretty cool.

10. I will train Molly to not retrieve the remote every time Jesse leaves the couch.
We are down to 25% of the time for remote retrieval. Maybe even less. She has some days and even weeks that are better than others.

11. I will enjoy my life more.
OK. OK. I totally realize that this is more a mind set than anything. However, I do feel like I am enjoying myself more. I am not letting Mrs. Ruby get to me as often. Nor, am I basing everything I do on what she may or may not say. It doesn't always work, but the times it does work is soooo worth it.

12. We will get control of our finances and get out of debt.
We are total fans of Dave Ramsey and his approach to finances. Not that he is saying anything earth shattering, but in fact, it is mind boggling in it's common sense. We are about half way down our list of debt. We have twice a month budget meetings that seem to go a bit easier each time. And I love paying cash for things.

13. I will do our budget without being too anal about every category.
I have improved. I have even started combining into one envelope food, paper goods, cleaning supplies and animal food. Before I was paying for each category separately. This meant a lot of time at the self checkout line. But I have not gotten as loosey goosey as Jesse. Who feels it perfectly OK to rob Peter to pay Paul as long as Peter doesn't miss it. Sorry just can't go there yet - at least without much anxiety on my part.

14. I will go out on a date with my husband at least 2 times a month.
Nope. Not there yet. But I still aspire to this. We did have our romantic weekend and saw Star Trek at the movies. Does that count as 2 dates? If so, I have June covered.

15. I will walk with Molly more often.
This is a hit and miss thing. Mostly miss. She has such a big yard to run in now, that I don't think of it as much. I know - it doesn't take the place of a walk. I should take the big galoot out tomorrow.

16. I will look for beauty in people I find hard to enjoy.
What was I thinking???? You put something like this out there and God thinks, "OK. Here are a few nasty people. Let's see what you do." No. Seriously. He doesn't do that. Does he? It sure seems like he does. I have not seen much beauty, but I do feel sorry for nasty, mean people. It must be hard to be that grouchy and ugly all the time. It would utterly exhaust me.

17. I will make cookbooks for Amber and Beki.
(And Yes I still call her Beki. It is my prerogative for messing with all that hair for so many years. And because I am old and have trouble breaking habits.)
I honestly, truly started the cookbook. But our computer is ca-poot and I haven't restarted it. Sorry girls!

18. I will make the sun room my haven and craft room.
Absolutely nothing, nope not a thing, has been done to make this a reality. Well, I have thought of it often. But I am having a creative block.

19. I will decorate the spare rooms with new paint, wall hangings, bedspreads, and curtains.
This too has me stumped. I just don't have a clue as to what to do. However, I think something is brewing. Does anyone else get that feeling before you find the answer to something creative?

20. I will get some new kitchen dish cloths and dish towels.
Done. And I got all one color. It has helped a lot. Though Jesse prefers to use them instead of paper towels, so I find them all over the place.

21. We will go on vacation this year; either summer or Christmas.
I think our summer is going to consist of the Family Gathering and going to Virginia to see Jennifer's Aunt Paula. (When she says come. You come. She reminds me a lot of Grandmommy in that way.) And some weekend retreats like the one to Fayetteville. Who knows what Christmas will hold.

22. I am going to try very, very hard to go to the World's Longest Yard Sale in August.
This has been put on hold. We decided that getting our finances in order was more important. Plus, I really, really want to have loads of money to spend there. So maybe next year.

23. I am going to get a group of family and friends, that also happen to be women, and go to the Women of Faith conference this year.
I have looked into it.The Dallas date is August 21st and 22nd. We need at least 10 people. The cost for 10+ would be $99 for premium seats or 79 for standard seats. This includes All day Friday and All day Saturday plus two box lunches. We would need to order them soon and we would need to pay when we order. Please let me know if you are interested.

24. I am going to write in my blog more often.
Well. Dang!

25. I am not going to look back on 2009 and feel like I wasted a year.
So far, so good. I feel like I have made some personal growth, have enjoyed my life more, and haven't been a complete couch potato.

What was I thinking writing 25 goals?! That is a lot to report on, keep up with, and just try to accomplish. I don't think I am doing as badly as I feared. Yeah for me! I wonder how everyone else is doing? (Do you feel a twinge of anxiety?)

2 comments:

tpot said...

T-good to go back and revisit. You're doing awesome! And I do think you would be someone you would like, if you met yourself. Does that make sense?

Anyway, my grandmother's farm is in Fayetteville. I went to the Five and Dime in that town my whole entire life. Baca road is across the road on 71. Destiny. It's amazing. I'm assuming you're talking about the one in Texas. Let me know what you think afterwards. My grandmothers alwasy pshawed..."Why would anyone want to stay in downtown Fayetteville?" She didn't get the Bed and Breakfast thing. I totally get it. Have fun! They have good burgers on the square.

Kia said...

#4 sounds like my closet...I have a closet full of nice clothes from when I worked at the bank that I haven't worn since I started at Whole Foods over a year ago but I can't bear to get rid of them. Now I just throw on a t-shirt and old jeans for work...Same with shoes...heals, flip flops, sneakers, flats, boots...red, brown, black, white....oh and don't get me started on purses...my closet needs a make over badly!

#19 Im itchin to take a trip to IKEA...