The name of the study is Managing Your Moods. This comes from the chapter amply named Happiness at Any Cost.
I want no regrets, so I will take no chances. I do not want to feel shame, so I will blend quietly into the crowd. I don't want to be disappointed, so I'll lower me expectations. I do not feel happy when I am confused, so I won't bother learning anything new. I do not wish to be embarrassed, so I will avoid speaking up. I don't want to experience sadness, so I will not allow myself to care. We set up emotional comfort zones and stay within them. No one can make us budge, not even the LORD. We create our own happy, little bubble- a safe haven, untouched by others. We take firm control so we can always be happy. Happiness- no matter what the cost.
Geez! I see myself in several of these sentences. How many times have I stopped myself from doing something because I didn't want to make someone angry, or be embarrassed, or I didn't want to go against the popular opinion? (I just realized that that last sentence sounded like a teen's immature mind.) Now - I'm not that bad. I know that I have stepped out on a limb a time or two. I just don't think I'm where God wants me to be with this issue. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever completely outgrow that young girl's insecurities and the need to be happy. Hopefully, with God's help and guidance, I will be able to do a better job of stepping out of my bubble. Eeks! That's kinda scary to think about!
No comments:
Post a Comment