
Adam called today. Hip Hip Hooray! He tried to call yesterday, but my stupid phone was almost dead and cut us off. He thought I had hung up on him! Instead, he left a message on Jesse's phone. So we were, both, really happy to hear from him today. I know it is silly, but it was nice to hear his voice. It let me take a deep breath and know that he really is ok. His letters have been full of reassurances and all the wonderful things he is doing , but actually speaking to him made it more real. OK. I admit it. I'm nuts. (In my defense, I feel the same way after talking to Amber on the phone instead of texting.)
Well, to get on with the phone call: He is doing well. He recently took his markmanship test and scored 35 out of 40. Unfortunately, that was one less of making Expert, which is what he was trying for. He said he will get another chance once he moves to South Carolina. He got the 15 dozen cookies we sent him. (We had to make 15 dozen so that everyone of the guys and their drill sgts. could each get 3 cookies.) They haven't been allowed to eat them yet. He is hoping they will get permission to eat them today. He said that one of the soldiers wives sent 55 teddy bears to them for Valentine's Day. After much cussing and hollering from the drill sgts, they decided that the whole platoon would have to keep a teddy bear in their ruck sacks at all times. They are now known as the teddy bear platoon. I'm glad I only sent cookies! It sounds like any package is opened in front of the drill sgts. I'm a little scared to send much more than a letter and paper and pens. He has a really long hike coming up this week that he is not looking forward to. Oh, they might get to watch some TV today. He said that, right now, his platoon is doing better than everyone. They were the only platoon that didn't have to dismantle their beds and carry them outside, to sleep under the stars so to speak, a few days ago. You can hear the pride and happiness in his voice. I'm glad that he is doing something that makes his so satisfied. I'll let you know when I hear more.
Well, to get on with the phone call: He is doing well. He recently took his markmanship test and scored 35 out of 40. Unfortunately, that was one less of making Expert, which is what he was trying for. He said he will get another chance once he moves to South Carolina. He got the 15 dozen cookies we sent him. (We had to make 15 dozen so that everyone of the guys and their drill sgts. could each get 3 cookies.) They haven't been allowed to eat them yet. He is hoping they will get permission to eat them today. He said that one of the soldiers wives sent 55 teddy bears to them for Valentine's Day. After much cussing and hollering from the drill sgts, they decided that the whole platoon would have to keep a teddy bear in their ruck sacks at all times. They are now known as the teddy bear platoon. I'm glad I only sent cookies! It sounds like any package is opened in front of the drill sgts. I'm a little scared to send much more than a letter and paper and pens. He has a really long hike coming up this week that he is not looking forward to. Oh, they might get to watch some TV today. He said that, right now, his platoon is doing better than everyone. They were the only platoon that didn't have to dismantle their beds and carry them outside, to sleep under the stars so to speak, a few days ago. You can hear the pride and happiness in his voice. I'm glad that he is doing something that makes his so satisfied. I'll let you know when I hear more.
No comments:
Post a Comment