- We all had a great time in New York. It was cold, bright, and overwhelming- just like it is supposed to be. We saw two plays. One great one and one that had some easily recognizable faces in it. We wandered around Times Square and danced with the Charmin guys in order to use the free bathroom they were offering. (If you ever wanted a dancing escort to the bathroom, this is an attraction you don't want to miss.) Afterward, we voted on our favorite toilet tissue - ultra soft or ultra strong. I'm an ultra soft girl, myself. We froze on top of the Empire State building and froze while we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. It was wonderful. After three visits to New York at Christmas, I am thinking I would like to visit when it is a little warmer.
- Christmas was very nice. After the fast pace of New York, it was nice to have a quiet Christmas day. Adam, Amber and Jerry were both here to open presents in the morning. Mrs. Ruby volunteered to be in charge of 'The Meal.' (Frankly, I still like the idea of something simple like fajitas or lasagna.) We ate about 5, since Mrs, Ruby thought that was when the girls would be available to eat another big dinner. Unfortunately for her, they had just finished eating at their mom's and didn't eat a thing here. I know she was disappointed. I think I still have some dressing in the fridge. Oh, well. Mrs. Ruby has decided to have our Christmas day on Christmas Eve next year. We'll see how that goes. I think it is a good idea for the girls. I know I would not be looking forward to two identical meals every holiday.
- Yes, Amber is expecting. Yes, I went through a few moments of craziness. Yes, I thought I was going to throw up a time or two. Yes, I did the typical thing for me and tried to figure out how her pregnancy was all my fault. Then, I realized something. It isn't my fault. I had nothing to do with the events that led to this change in her life. I know this is going to sound very selfish, but it was such a relief!!! After years of feeling like a bad mother if my children told a lie, got in a fight, or did anything else not deemed "Appropriate Behavior," it was like a huge brick fell off my back. I am no longer responsible for my children's mistakes. It is not because they weren't taught the difference between right and wrong or that I neglected to instill in them the correct amount of self esteem. They are human - like me. Go Figure!
- I know Amber will be a wonderful Mom. She has the ability to be totally dedicated in whatever she chooses. She is one of the most family oriented people I know. And, she is not afraid to ask questions or take help when she needs it. (Unfortunately, as we all know, mother's need all the help they can get. Those little bundles of joy do not come with any instructions.) Finally, she is a wonderful person and her child will be blessed to have her.
- OK. What next? Oh, yeah! Adam went to jail! Talk about the scariest, most miserable night of my life (and his I expect!) Here I was being silly and worried about boot camp. Then, we get that horrible, gut wrenching collect call from the Williamson County jail. After rushing up there, we were told that we couldn't see him. To make matters worse, we wouldn't be able to see him or even begin to get him out until he saw a judge. Oh, by the way- The judge was gone for the day and one wouldn't be back until sometime the following morning. Lovely! We were literally told to go home and come back in the morning. There was a nice man there that went and told Adam that we were there. He, apparently, told Adam that we were freaking out. He asked Adam, "What do you want me to tell them?" (Uhhh... Maybe, HELP! Get Me Out Of Here! Just for a start.) Leaving there was one of the hardest things I have ever done. (It ranked right up there with when I had to leave a newborn Amber at the hospital overnight because they wanted another night to observe her.) I couldn't make myself go to bed. I stayed on the couch, sitting up, most of the night. I did sleep off and on, but would jolt awake with an overwhelming guilt for sleeping while my son was in jail. We were there bright and early the next morning and were blessed to run into a Christian Bonds woman. She told us that every day she prays for God to bring to her the people she is supposed to help. She offered to just go talk to Adam and let him know we were there. However, after talking to him, she decided to take his $2,000 bond. Egads! How do people that make a habit of going to jail do it? Oops! Got off track. She told us she wanted to help us get him out of there as soon as possible because "It is obvious he doesn't belong there." I know this sounds silly, but that was so comforting to me. I don't know what I thought. That he would come out hardened with a prison tattoo or something. I don't know. Maybe it was just that someone else saw that he is good person. We weren't getting that from anyone else. She ended up holding our hands through the entire process. Helped us find the car and gave us the paperwork needed break it out of car prison. We were told the earliest we would be able to get him out was 4-6pm. With her help, he was out at noon. I didn't want to let him out of my sight. We all came home and slept most of the day. Then, because Adam wanted to take us to the movies, we went to see Sweeney Todd - one of the craziest, bloodiest musicals I ever hope to see. But, it was OK. I had both my boys with me and that is all that mattered.
- Oh! I forgot to say why Adam went to jail. He had a warrant out for communications harassment. From what we were able to find out, one of his old girlfriends from Marble Falls filed it. She says she didn't know what she was signing because her step dad made her. Who knows? They were fighting during their breakup and I guess that is all you need. I don't really know. She called me at midnight that night to let me know how awful she felt and that she was going to drop the charges. I just hope she does. One of Adam's friends happens to have two pretty high powered lawyers for parents. They have taken on the case and said that all she needed to do was come by and sign some papers. He had already talked to the prosecutor (on New Years Eve) and the prosecutor was willing to drop the charges. So he was just waiting for her to come by his office. We are supposed to call next week to find out if she did.
- We had a great, quiet and fun New Year's Eve at Julie's. I am so glad that she felt up to it. Being with family was just what we needed. Julie, Don, Beka, Gina, and Micah and Tania's family were a God send.
- Then, Adam went to boot camp. Frankly, it was a bit anti-climatic. After the previous three days, I was emotionally numb. I felt like I should be crying or making a scene. But, I just didn't have it in me. To be honest, I think I was a bit relieved. One good thing about his going to jail, I guess. I knew that he would be OK. I had gotten a peace about it before that dreaded night. However, I wasn't letting it take hold like I should have. I was still upset and even angry that he was going away. Angry at Adam for making a decision I didn't like and angry at God for letting it happen. I had given Adam to God many years ago, but assumed that I would approve of all His decisions for him. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Simple woman that I am, when am I going to realize that I can't control God?! So, with little fan fare, crying, or his mother flinging herself onto the army van, Adam went to boot camp. The last time we heard from him, he had landed in Georgia and was waiting for the Army transport to take him and the other new recruits to the fort. So, he is now lost in Army World. Jesse and I miss him terribly. We should be hearing from him soon. He will be able to tell us his address and graduation date at that time. I'll let everyone know when I hear from him.
- So, there you are. You are now all caught up on the never ending soap opera that is our life. After re-reading this, I suppose I should have made this into several separate blogs. However, that means I would have to retype it all. So, this is it.
- Oh! I feel like I should warn all you parents that may now or in the future allow your children to drive your car. Your car may not return from car jail unscathed. My car has been acting funny ever since I got it back. She just doesn't seem to have her old spunk and get up and go. Frankly, I think the meaner, more street worldly cars picked on her. She just seems depressed. If she doesn't snap out of it soon, I may have to get happy pills for my car.
Friday, January 4, 2008
Catching Up
It has been so long since I blogged, I am going to take an idea from Jenny and bullet. So here goes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What, no pics of you dancing with the Charmin guys?
I loved your comment "I am no longer responsible for my children's mistakes". Why does it take us so long to realize it and then when they make a mistake, to remember we are not responsible????
Obviously there is never a dull moment during the holidays for your family.
Keeping you and your family in my prayers.
Wow! Tammie, this is certainly a holiday you will never forget. I loved your blog--and applaud you for no longer taking responsibility for your children's mistakes. I so felt for you through all of this. And I am so glad you came on New Year's Eve--so sorry I was in such a stressed out, exhausted state. It was good for me to have you here, too. We are all better--I got rest and Don went to doc and got meds so life is better now over here. It was so good to get to be with Adam before he left--and I must say in some strange way it was good for Brian to be here when he was put in jail because at least Brian had personal experience with that and had good advice to offer him. Maybe some mending of relationships got done a bit withing the Lichtenstein side of family. Brian went to see Gary, too.
Your last part about your car made me really laugh. Poor thing being mistreated by all those hard core cars.
Post a Comment