Thursday, August 18, 2011

Griping About Me

I know I should be catching everyone up with Life with the Fisherheads. However, something happened the other day that I need to get off my chest.

No! The MIL hasn't driven me crazy.

No! Work hasn't forced me to hide under my desk, rock back and forth, and sing You Are My Sunshine under me breath.

And NO! We did not find a scorpion in our bedroom..... in our bed..... or on Fisherhead's butt.



What happened was this:

I was having one of those days where I feel like I am just one or two steps ahead of a 'nasty' storm. My mood was just barely hanging on to 'nice.' I was managing to keep it together by promising myself things.

"This meeting will be over soon..."

"It's almost lunch time. You'll be able to relax a bit"

"This too shall pass"

"It's almost time to go home."

When I remembered that we needed quite a few things from the grocery store, I just told myself, "It won't be bad. Fisherhead plans to go too. We can grab a quick bite to eat before hand. It won't take long at all. Then I can relax!"

So, I go home, bolstering my decent mood as I drive, trying to keep the 'nasty' cloud away.

When I arrived home, I thought that the bad mood had been banished. My husband was happy to see me. The dogs were happy to see me. I think the fish were even glad I showed up.
As I was changing clothes, I saw Fisherhead take his guitar case out to the car.

What's this?

Then I remembered... Band practice tonight!

Guess we won't have a relaxing dinner and speedy grocery shopping trip after all. (I know I heard the distinct sound of some thunder.)

"This is Okay," I think. "I'll just drop him off and run into the grocery store for the 2-3 things that we need to have tomorrow. Then, I can relax for a bit before he is ready to come home. This IS, still, salvageable."

Then Fisherhead comes back into the house. "I made you a grocery list."

"Really? Uh.. Thanks." Did I hear more thunder?

"Yeah. And I have Mom's grocery list too."

Then.... You guessed it. The Nasty Storm broke. It literally dumped slimy, foul, gooey nastiness on my head. It poured down my shoulders and dripped off my nose. It oozed on my arms. It seeped into my pores. No amount of self talk could penetrate it. I said a bad word.

I wish I could say that I turned this ugly mood into a smiling Pollyanna experience. I did not. I moped. I grumped. I shopped, glaring at happy people the entire time. Didn't they know I was shopping after working all day? Didn't they know that I was shopping for a picky little old lady I know will find something wrong with my purchases? Didn't they see the nasty, boiling cloud above my head that spelled out BAD MOOD? Why weren't they smart enough to see a woman on the edge and avoid me completely?!

It only took an hour and a half. I fretted over every purchase for Mrs. Ruby. I tossed the food for our house in the basket with a thud. Somehow, I managed to get out of the store without running over the perky cashier. Nor, did I bash the car next to mine that decided it was just the right size to fit into the half sized space meant for a motorcycle. Even though it stuck out 3 feet further than any other car in the row, I did not write something nasty on their windshield or scrape my bumper along it's side.

I decided it was a success. I was almost home when the phone rang. "Honey! I'm finished!"
After my eyeballs returned to their normal positions, I turned around and drove back into town. Again.

Well, to make a meaningless story reach an end... I got home at 8:30 and I was still grumpy.

The whole reason I needed to write about this is.... Well... I was wondering if I am the only one that can't shake a bad mood no matter how hard you try. I hate knowing that I am being unreasonable. But, I just can't seem to break out of this doom and gloom that gets stuck to me like glue.

So,I guess I'm just griping about.... ME.





1 comment:

Alisa said...

Hurricane Alisa blowing in!!

Even though I sing praises and pray, those storm clouds keep coming closer, gathering strength along the way.

No my dear friend, you are not the Lone Ranger in the stormy mood department.