Tuesday, May 11, 2010

St. John of The Divine

This is the entrance to St. John of the Divine.
It is an Episcopal Cathedral. Construction began in 1892.
It is the largest Cathedral in the world.





Each doorway was elaborately decked out with statues, carvings, and etchings.


The bronze doors were made by Barbedienne. Uhh... Yeah...


For those of us who are either bad with names or just don't know our famous crafty people, he is the guy who created the Statue of Liberty.



According to the handy dandy brochure, there are a total of 60 panels. Each panel depicts a scene from either the Old or New Testament. The six doors are 18ft high and weigh a total of 3 tons! Glad one was open when we got there.




(Hint: pay attention to the statue in between the doors. There will be a test later.)









I liked this panel, in particular.


Who hasn't wrestled with an angel in one form or another?


If you can't think of a single time that you have done a little wrestling, then get out your umbrella or the ginko biloba. Cause you are either due for a shower of self-conflict or your memory is shot.

















Quiz:

Remember that statue I told you to pay attention to?

Well, I hope so.

Because each statue was standing on a platform of a carving.

This one is the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.



I think.






The first thing you notice is this.



But first, you have to walk about half a mile thru the Nave, the Crossing and the Choir to get there.
















The Second thing you notice are the 14, incredible, stained glass windows on both sides of the Nave.





Did I mention they were incredible?
















This the top of the gate that led to the entrance into the chapel below.






Who thinks up all this stuff?















This is one of several smaller 'chapels' off of the main Nave and Crossing areas.

I felt too insignificant to stay here long. I felt that if I crossed too far inside, I would get ZaPpEd like a big 'ol mosquito in an electric zapper.
















Check out all that carved wood.



Can you imagine being in the choir and running your hands over this every Sunday? Wow!






This is the way out, or the entrance, depending on if you are a pessimist or an optimist.

I just can't get over all that stained glass. The columns, marble floors, and ornate wood carving are impressive. But, those stained glass windows? They make my heart sigh in wonder.





And then, there were these two bums waiting for us outside.


I took their picture to help them sober up. I think they were drunk on LUV!


Eewww!

1 comment:

Gema said...

WOW! How beautiful--I agree, who thinks up all this beauty to create? I will definitely put this church on my "to see" list next time we go to NYC. Your photos are outstanding!