Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Vegetable Patch

I dare deer, skunk, armadillo, or any other varmits
to try to get into Fort Fisher.
Fort Fisher is even equipped with a nifty little sprinkler system.
Cool, Huh?!

This will be the home to all my vegetable hopes and dreams.
I plan to put corn in the three foot rows on the left.
I'm hoping to plant 6 squares of corn every 1-2 weeks.
(I don't want all that corn coming in at the same time.)
Don't we look all farm-ish with the windmill in the background?
I think I need a straw hat and some over-alls.

This is what about half of the garden looks like.
Just a little Popsicle stick to announce what is,
hopefully, going to grow inside the neat little square.
What are P. Cukes?
Well, they are pickling cucumbers, of course.
(Speaking of pickling cucumbers, Uh... I was wondering if any one
knows how to make pickles. Fisherhead seems to think that I
can produce pickles. Since I don't want him to think I am less than perfect,
I could really use some advice.)
(Psst. We need to keep this on the down low.
It would tarnish my stellar reputation as All Powerful Wife, if it got out
that I needed advice from those that actually know what they are doing.)


This little pea represents the other half of the garden.
It, like the peppers, tomatoes, onions, and eggplant,
are just little babies.
They are hoping that I won't kill them before they have a chance to procreate.
(Isn't that what we all are hoping for? HA!)

Pray for my little veggies. Lord knows they will need it.



2 comments:

Gema said...

WOW! I am so impressed with Ft. Fisher. You guys did an outstanding job. I really like your sprinkler system. And by the way, I love it that God has his sprinkler system turned on today. Lots of good rain we are getting. Your garden looks great and I am sure will produce well. I truly think you have fortified it against all enemies but the BUGS (and hail, oh, I hope no more hail comes our way--I just replaced what the hail and freeze killed). I can't wait to see it and all your other plants in person. I went to Sutherlands yesterday and came home with lots of flowers. I always feel like I am on a rescue mission there. They have so many gorgeous plants and good prices but they do not water them and they all just die on the racks. I feel like I must purchase them to save their lives...
Anyway, tell me what flowers you have planted this year and show us pictures.

Gema said...

Pickles--uh, I think I have some good bread and butter pickle recipes from my mother but as for dill pickles......I am doing a search for those recipes myself. Maybe Tania has some from her grandmother.