I had the opportunity to help out the nursing home by sitting in a booth all weekend. OK. OK. Let me rephrase that.
This weekend, I had the opportunity to brown nose this weekend by sitting in a booth at the Founder's Day Festival in Dripping Springs.
Frankly, I hope all the brown nosing worked as we didn't do a whole lot of what we were supposed to do. It really isn't our fault. Well, not that much. We were supposed to sell raffle tickets for a homemade quilt. Unfortunately, the quilt did not make it to the festival. Not only that. No one working this weekend had even gotten a peek at the quilt. It is really hard to convince people to buy a ticket for an invisible quilt. You can only hem and haw for so long. People want to know such unreasonable things like, "What color is it?" or "What pattern is it made in?" It is amazing what people will ask before they part with the dollar it took to buy a ticket.
So, we finally resorted to doing what comes naturally when people of all walks of life pass you by with funnel cakes, turkey legs, and snow cones dripping on their shirts. You People Watch.
I have decided that at a festival people that would not normally be seen together, will stand side by side to buy a chicken on a stick. It is crazy the people you see. Girls dressed to the nines (I couldn't help but wonder if they would suffer heat stroke later.) walked beside the guy with overalls -cut off at the knees- showing off his purty black socks and ankle boots. The great dane and the yorkie shared a drink at the bowl outside the fried pickle booth. Where else would you see a kid on an electric scooter wheel by an old man pushing his wife in her wheelchair? There where kids with sugar coated faces and uppity folks who only saw (and spoke to) clones of themselves. The aggie and the longhorn passed each other with identical snacks in their hands. The hippy family and the yuppie family shared a ride on the tilt-a-whirl.
There was a couple of people that I wondered if this was their yearly trek into civilization. I highly recommend a festival for anyone studying the highly evolved science of sociology - Can you believe I got that out without falling off my chair in uncontrollable giggles? Highly evolved! Hahahahahaha!
I have to go baby my sunburn and wash the dirt and dust from my hair. Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!
No comments:
Post a Comment