Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It's a small world

You know what? I always hear people say, "It's a small world!" and I nod my head and agree. But, days like today make me realize just how much truth is in that statement.
We just got a new resident at the nursing home. (You knew I was going there. Nothing else in my life is very interesting right now.) She and I were talking during our therapy session, today. When the conversation turned to who we mutually knew in Dripping Springs, I asked if she knew a guy named Lyndon who is dating a friend of mine. She said yes. In fact, she knew his entire family. I thought that was pretty cool. Then she started talking about how Lyndon was in the same grade as her brother and how she and Lyndon's sister were in the same grade too. I thought this was odd. Especially since she is in her 90's and the Lyndon I know is in his 30's. I thought that maybe Lyndon's Dad or Grandad was a Lyndon also. So, I tried to set the record straight by saying I knew the young Lyndon. I had never even met the older Lyndon. She gave me a quizzical look, but then acknowledged my comment with an, "Oh. The younger Lyndon." We exercised a bit more and I asked if she and Lyndon went to school in Dripping Springs since he was from a smaller town nearby. She acted like I had dropped my brain on the floor and started playing with it. She quickly corrected me with a, "Not Drippin! Johnson City." Well, very slowly I picked up my brain from the floor and started to put two and two together. She was talking about Lyndon Baines Johnson! It never even crossed my mind that this sweet little lady who had lived her entire life in Dripping Springs would know one of our presidents. She rubbed elbows with his entire family. She was even at the graveside service for Ladybird. Amazing! It really is a small world.

1 comment:

tpot said...

Oh, that's so cute.