Saturday, November 21, 2009

I'm a Thinking...

Is it horrible? I mean truly wrong to consider putting up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving? I know. I know. It is early. I know that all the stores start wa-ay to early putting up decorations and selling everything Christmas. It does seem like the holiday explodes all over the place earlier and earlier every year. (Either that or I am getting older and older. Which, by the way, I refuse to admit at this time.)

Usually, I refuse to start putting things up til the weekend following Thanksgiving. It is the principle of the thing. However this year, I just have this desire to get started now.

You see every year the same thing happens. Christmas comes at me with the rush of an oncoming train.

  • First, I hear it coming. "Christmas is coming. Aren't all the decorations beautiful and magical?"
  • Then I feel it rumble under my feet. " Have you made your list yet? What are you getting everyone?"
  • I look up, out of my denial, and actually see Christmas coming. "What are you going to bake? You know everyone is going to want their favorite goodies."
  • The ground shakes under my feet and Christmas is barrelling straight for me. "Don't forget everyone at work. Oh and Jesse needs stuff to take to work too!"
  • I can feel the heat of the Christmas engine pressing against me skin. "Here's an invitation for the fourth party of the season. And there's a ornament exchange! Oh Goodie!
  • The dry, blowing heat, acrid smell, and ear shattering roar of that glorious Christmas train is right on top of me. "When are you going to bake those cookies?! And You don't have half the presents wrapped! Have you even thought of what everyone is going to eat for breakfast?! Get going! What are you doing all day?!"
  • I some how manage to jump off the tracks, in the nick of time. Just barely avoiding a Christmas catastrophe by getting everything done in the wee hours of the night. "See ya next year! Wasn't it fun?!"

Uh, yeah. I want to enjoy this fun season as long as possible. Or maybe I should be saying - I want to try to de-stress the season by starting early. Well, at least I thought I did. That is until I started this blog. Now I am kinda scared to open that door.

If I just decide that I'm not playing chicken with Christmas, do you think I would win? Or would that train just run my stupid butt over? I'm thinking the latter. Shoot!

1 comment:

tpot said...

Tammie,
It's so nice to have something to read! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! I've been waiting and waiting. Yes, I think you should decorate whenever the iron is hot. Go for it. You will enjoy it more, and maybe you'll have time to enjoy the shopping more, too. We're starting early just by preparing the house. You know, declutter this and that, get the dusting done. Then MAYBE we'll be ready to decorate soon after Thanksgiving. I don't know. We've almost finished all of our shopping, so that's how we really started early. Usually Micah makes me wait until mid-December. Talk about stress! Nothing's wrapped of course, except in trash bags! But it feels so good to have a little something done so that maybe we can enjoy the decorating and even a little baking. Go for it!